1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your truck today?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Coast Steve, Aug 25, 2010.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I love the mirrors! Since my mirror was broken in the lay-over I have been thinking about fabbing some mirrors up instead of replacing them. This gives me a whole new outlook on how it def needs to be done. Big thanks for sharing. Now off to get smacked in the face by branches I suppose. :D

-Greg

2. trials4evr

trials4evr Member

Fupabox nice mirrors I like them color keyed to match the truck! Just noticed we have the same sticker in the front windshield with the number 12 on it. Any ideas on what the # means?

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I think it's the month of the yearly inspection that was last done

4. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

5. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

snorkle on a2003 carry with a dump bed

I used 1 1/4 shop vac hose, a piece of 1 1/4 plastic pipe, a valve cover breather with the foam removed for a snorkle top. To return to stock all you would have to do is put back on the 90 degree rubber that goes into the frame for air.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

spare tire holder 2003 Carry

The stock spare tire would be useless for me on the trail. My 25x8x12 Dirt Tammer tire wouldn't fit in the factory spare holder, so I made my own. I have a dump bed with a storage box and sometimes a jumper seat already in it. I used two existing holes in the bed rails.

Attached Files:

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice work, Arcticmini.

I know what I didn't do with my truck today and that's plow the driveway. Last winter I swore that I would build up a plow system for it. Instead, I'm still using the 5' blade on the back of my tractor. After this morning's 6", I think I'm ready to start planning that system for my truck again. :p

8. OldMachinist

That's the project I'm working right now. I bought a 72" hydraulic V plow last year at a auction. I'm getting close I made the winch bumper today and later this weekend I'll work on the plow mountings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice! I can't wait to see how that comes out.

10. OldMachinist

I hope I get it done before we get any real snow or I'll be like you, freezing my butt off plowing with a tractor.

11. fupabox

Attached Files:

12. OldMachinist

I got the mountings made for the "V" plow done today and now the real fun begins, wiring it all up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nice work! Look forward to seeing it in action... I haven't gotten any snow to speak of this year either :/

14. OldMachinist

I'm getting there. Just finished wiring the winch and will work on the plow wiring tomorrow. I didn't get the control pendant or wiring with the plow and the manufacturer wants way too much($130 just for the pendant) to buy it so I'll be bulding my own.

15. BC_MMC

BC_MMC Member

It's finally ready! They told me my Mits is ready after $2500 worth of work but it's freakin -36 degrees out there today and a wind chill warning it could get -49.
    It can sit at the shop a few more days, I'm not gonna risk driving it home today.

16. fupabox

-36.:eek:...my brain is cold thinking about that.

17. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

$2,500 worth of work?? Wow, what did you all get done? Sounds like it will be nice.

18. OldMachinist

19. fupabox

3" ouch yeah that's quite a drop...do you have a salter or anything in the back to offset the weight?

20. OldMachinist

I'm only planning on having the plow on the truck if it snows and with the plow down on the ground the truck only drops about 1/2" so during use it shouldn't be a problem. I've got some cast iron weights to put in the back for traction along with some regular old style snow tires that I'll be mounting tomorrow. If it really gets bad I've got tire chains too.

21. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Thats a pretty slick setup you have there. Looks like it will be fun to use. Still waiting for snow down here! None in the 7 day forecast either. Have not prayed for snow like this since I was about 10 yrs old. ha

22. OldMachinist

I just remeasured the amount of drop the plow causes and it's only 1.5". The new bumper is 18" to the bottom with the trail tires but I had changed to the stock tires yesterday and that dropped the bumper 1.5" so when I measured it yesterday I was thinking the bumper was still at 18". I'm still thinking about some stiffer springs. I just can't decide if I want to use 275 lbs springs or 300 lbs.

23. fupabox

what weight are your current springs? or are they stock

24. OldMachinist

They're the stock springs.

25. fupabox

hopefully someone with an Acty and plow can say what weight springs they used..275 may be too hard when the plow isn't mounted..not sure though..my stock daihatsu springs were so soft the plow never would have lifted off the pavement..dropped over 2" with 2 passengers on board:p

26. OldMachinist

27. daberry402004

daberry402004 New Member

Where did you get the snow tires?

28. OldMachinist

I bought them on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/160702629860

I offered less than the buy it now price and he accepted.

They are new old stock bias ply. I didn't find any dry rot when I mounted them on my wheels.

29. OldMachinist

Somebody really jumped on those tires after I posted the link. 6 sold in the last 45 min.

30. I just bought 2.. thx