1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welding my Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Mini Truck Spottings' started by gregw98, Oct 20, 2008.

1. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Do you think it would be safe to weld my gas tank?
    [​IMG]

2. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Redneck Jackstands

"Hey Bubba, hand me the hammer and some more nails."
    [​IMG]

3. Colin

Colin Member

Kinda reminds me of this...

[​IMG]

:D

4. ATVtruck.com

ATVtruck.com New Member

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i think you missed the joke

6. Colin

Colin Member

7. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

I'm certain he pumped nitrogen in the empty fuel tank to displace the fumes. Also, you can clearly observe those body struts are OSHA approved.

(Actually I brazed what I thought was an empty gas tank years ago - wow what a surprise I had .. whoomph when the fumes exploded. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the repair was a success. It is really difficult to fully purge a tank of fumes.)

8. Mighty Milt

when i have to weld a gas tank i will fill it with argon or water works if you have enough amperage to overcome the temperature difference. CO2 will work too as long as it's an inert gas.

9. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

The old way was to fill the tank with the exhaust fumes from another engine. I've done it this way using the exhaust from a lawn and garden engine it works fine but you still should make sure all the liquid fuel is cleaned out first just to be safe.

10. Colin

Colin Member

I had to re-solder the outlet and vent nipples on my Sambar's tank a while ago. I rinsed it out with a water/Simple Green mixture a few times, ran water through it for a few minutes, then purged it with exhaust. Turns out a piece of 5/8" heater hose slips over the tailpipe of my scooter quite nicely, and fits onto the filler vent on the Sambar tank. :D

Colin

11. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I took a suzuki gas tank to several places in Austin and they said no way. I went by a scrap metal recycler and he said no problem. 35.00 and 2 patches later it was fixed. He said the same thing, keep carbon monoxide flowing in it while patching up.

12. Carbon monoxide believe it or not is burnable/explosive if the mixture with air is just right. I know so becuase of a detection and control of flamable substances course I took several years ago. I thought previously that it would be safe also.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  13. rayallen

rayallen Member

Colin years ago I owned a small rural gas station, 1963. A customer talked me into welding his gas tank on a 1 ton truck. He said if we washed it out several times and then filled it up with water and had water running out the tank it could not blow up. I touched the tank with my torch and the tip was too large. I put on a smaller tip and when I touched the tank it blew all the water out of the tank. I ran about 100 yards and stopped. He was laughing at me till I put my torch up. He said it can' blow up again and I told him he said it couldn't blow up the first time. My first and last gas tank welding job. He had to take it to another welder to get it fixed. ray allen

14. Mighty Milt

when i weld a gas tank i clean it thouroughly, leave it outside a couple days to completely vent the fumes and then run a constant purge of argon. works everytime.

15. TRAX and HORNS

Not to change the subject,When I was working in the Gulf Of Mexico(drilling rigs) we were sitting down in the galley eating lunch. The welding shop was right above us on the upper 1/4 deck. We heard a loud KAABOOOOM and dust came out of the ceiling tiles in the galley . Couple of us ran to the welding shop to find Shorty(welder) standing with torch in hand, not moving, safety glasses on crooked and not able to talk. He had built a cannon out of a 2" steel pipe and had shot a potato at the seagulls that were landing on the heliport. Thank goodness he wasnt hurt just shell shocked. After about 1 min. Shorty said he thinks his mixture was a little to much. He threw his cannon overboard. For the next 5 yrs. or so I never saw Shorty do anything like that again. I still get tickled remembering him with that look on his face.

16. o8k

o8k Member

My Neighbor's Motorcycle Gas Tank supplier was killed a few years back from welding Gas tank for a motorcycle. He was known throughout Phoenix for this type work and had been doing it for over 30 years. He was a well respected authority on "how to do it safely" and was considered an "expert" at the task.

17. delecs

delecs New Member

Auto parts

Hi just I want to know where I can get tiger truck parts in central america in Costa Rica so many people have tiger trucks they closed the store and now we dont have parts to repair please if you have the answer.let me now.

18. TRAX and HORNS