1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Rear Hatch Lift Struts

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by thCapn, Oct 12, 2017.

1. thCapn

thCapn Guest

AKA gate cylinders or lifts, etc. I'm trying to find a pair for my Sambar Try van and there are none to be found. Amayama and Megazip show them on their sites but then reply that they are no longer available. I've checked the smaller web sites to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find a set? New or used, as long as they work. I'm tired of getting hit on the head.

2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Get the Subaru number and bring it to a dealer. Chance they use the same ones for one of the older wagons. At least if they can match the number even if NLA up you can likely get aftermarkets that match based on US/ Canadian vehicles that match

3. thCapn

thCapn Guest

Thanks, but I tried that a long time ago. No luck. I also tried matching up generic struts. I found one the correct length and pressure rating but the mounts don't match and I couldn't gerry-rig a way to install them.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I have resorted to the old tried & true method of using a stick for the support. Here is a hack I have read about and will try as soon as I can remember it when messing around. Take a piece of the blue plastic water pipe in which the ID (3/4 or 1 in) closely matches the OD of the gas cylinder support. Cut the length to match the measurement that the rod extends out when fully extended. Make a slit the full length(may have to cut a slot ?) and put it on the rod so when it is in place, it will bear against the cylinder end and the support attachment at the end of the rod. When you want to collapse it, slide it up over the gas cylinder so it won't get lost. When you open the hatch just slide it off the cylinder & onto the rod so it will do what it should. I have only read of this, so no guarantee as to it's workability although I do plan to give it a go one of these days. Worth a try considering the cost & availability of the support cylinders.

Fred

5. thCapn

thCapn Guest

Thanks. I've done something similar. It is a handy and inexpensive workaround. Unfortunately, it requires two-handed operation when opening and closing the hatch. That has proven very difficult for us, as we use the van for work deliveries, when hands are typically full of product.

6. allen0288

allen0288 Member

Try Yokohama Motors

7. thCapn

thCapn Guest

I have tried them and a variety of other resources.