1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Battery box

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Radar, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Radar

Radar Member

I am looking to add a second battery to my van. Anyone know what that type of battery box is called? It is counter sunk into the floor but that phrase is not comming up on any web searches.
    Thanks in advance,
    Radar

2. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

I personally havent seen that type of van up close, but are you meaning a flush mount?

Regardless, something you should know if you don't already:

1 - make sure both batteries are the same. (Brand, capacity, and age. In fact, you should change both at the same time)

2 - adding an extra battery to your vehicle is harder on the alternator, not easier (Common misconception)

There are lots and lots of battery boxes at places like Summit Racing. Some are expensive, others are cheap. Maybe you can find what you need at a place like that?

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

just out of curiosity... why do you need another battery? you turning into a camper or filling the back with speakers and amps a la pimp my ride? ;)

4. Radar

Radar Member

yeah a camper van type mod. Flush mount was the word I was missing. I am aware of altenator strain. might put a switch to have batt charged by solar cell. the damn charge controlers are hard to find at a good price.

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if you are going to add a second battery, and as suggested before you should probably change them both and use the same kind so on so forth, i would switch to running two 6v batteries wired in a series rather than two 12v run parallel. that's how we set up our motorhomes and trailers for better battery life and run time without a generator.