1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by swat1018, Feb 23, 2016.

1. swat1018

swat1018 Member

My Carry got difficult to start some time ago. I searched and thought it may be the valves, after carb cleaning did nothing for the issue. I adjusted the valves to .007 and it started right up and run fine. Over time, several hundred starts, the vehicle started getting more difficult to start. Soon, I was back to where I once was. Today, I pulled the valve cover and the valves were tight again. I readjusted and it started fine.

What is going on, and how do I fix it? I'm going to go get a compression gauge now and check the compression. Just wondering if it didn't get dusted and wear things internally.

2. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

please keep us posted. curious problem.
    Tony

3. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Well now it starts and runs. I decided to do a compression check. I have 115 - 115- 126. I know not perfect, but not sure how that would effect things. Anyone ever seen one where the valves just get tight on all 3 cylinders to the point it won't hardly start? I just need a nudge in the right direction, I'm stumped.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I had one do that to me one time and I had a buddy that's a better mechanic than I am re-set them and it's been fine every since.

5. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Lol, that may be an option. My niece's husband owns a M/C repair shop and he did them the first time. He is very experienced, but hopefully my job will last longer.

6. swat1018

swat1018 Member

What are people's thoughts on the compression numbers, 115 - 115 - 126? I've never done a compression test before. Going to try a leak-down test tomorrow, see what it may show.

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I believe that popular opinion is 10% variance so I think you're close enough.I've had them run pretty well with bigger differences than you have.The bigger concern would be that they are all a little low as I think the book calls for around 150 plus but It should run fine if everything else is ok. These little engines are nearly bullet proof and very forgiving as long as the vacuum lines are good.

8. Terry270

Terry270 New Member

Funny thing. I just bought a Carry a few weeks ago that had 0 compression on one cylinder and like 30 on another. Was thinking head gasket but it ended up just being valves had come out of adjustment!

9. swat1018

swat1018 Member

It's already getting hard to start again. I think I need a new or machined head, and since I'm losing compression through the crankcase on the leak-down test, I probably should do new rings. What is the best procedure to get this done? Can it be done without pulling the motor from the truck? I'm guessing not. Any advise?

10. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

You can do but it's a bit tougher.Try searching threads by user Hatch, as I'm pretty sure he did it.

11. swat1018

swat1018 Member

I've never been inside a motor, so this should be good. Where should I send my head to have it reconditioned? Any other advise?

12. swat1018

swat1018 Member

Anybody care to run me through a "checklist" for dropping the motor? How do you keep all the vacuum lines straight? I'm thinking about using a label maker and make a bunch of sets of numbers. Put a matching number on the hose, and the barb where it came off. What do you think?