1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valspar Restoration series paint.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Richard H. Blount, Aug 6, 2009.

1. When I first painted my Minicab, I used Valspar paint and just shot it like the good ol' Dulux. (Don't think it's available anymore). Anyway, after 4 years, the paint Oxidized terribly. When I went over it with fine Scotchbrite, it removed all the oxidized paint just fine, but primer was all that was left on pert of the roof. So Back to the farm store I go and Valspar has a two part paint called the Restoration series (or some words to that effect) And it's only $20 a quart. I didn't see any clear. Does anyone have any experience with this paint? And if there is any clearcoat that may be compatible?

Rich
    1989 Minicab

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

When I used to paint we switched from Dupont to Valspar to save money. Needless to say after a month we switched back to Dupont. I'm guessing what you are talking about is a two part epoxy type paint. You don't want to put clear over this type of paint (It would probably be OK, but I wouldn't risk it). If you wan't to use a clear coat then just do a 2 stage base coat clear coat. Follow the instructions on the side of the cans and you'll be good to go.

3. Valspar Restoration Series Update

Shot the first coat today! 1 Quart got the job done and it almost looks the way I want it to. Second coat on Saturday. This John Deere green is a brighter shade than last time. I think I like it better! There are a few thin spots and a couple few fish-eyes, but for now I am satisfied. When I figure out how to get photos out of my camera I'll post 'em in the albums area. Woot!

Rich:D

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Being a good Canadian I've used Tremclad to paint vehicles for several years now. Lasts long easy to touch up and resists scratches.
    My 1986 chevy wrangler in tremclad black (4 year old paint) the shadows are from the trees in my yard not patchy paint.[​IMG][/IMG]
    just did my 1992 Daihatsu in tremclad Oregano green
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Works for me easy to spray and thin out,single stage so runs sand out,doesn't fade..and cheap :)

5. Valspar Restoration series paint

Yup, She's a beauty! I like the idea of painting the little inset under the windshield black. I just put the second coat on mine. A little orange peel here and there, but I expected to have to buff it out. I don't think I can do that for a couple weeks for the paint to fully cure. I actually may farm that job out. Now that I know how to get the pictures out of my camera (thanks to my son who doesn't even have to look at instructions on these kind of things) Will post more pics on the gallery.

6. greg0187

I like that color and the black out under the windshield is a good idea.

7. fupabox

Thanks..I copied the black under the windshield from the Daihatsu vans,they seem to all come that way. The Tremclad is nice cause it dries so hard and fast that you can colour sand it the next day

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

nice job on the mini! I also love the 86 chev. im more amazed that it isnt rusted out. last 3 i had were okay when i got them but then slowly rusted out. still got the second one and ya, doors and floors are gone lol.

tremclad comes in liter cans then?

9. I got it in quart cans at the Farm store. I thought about buying a gallon, but learned my lesson on leftover paint last time. I put her all back together last night now can't find the
    blessed camera. Mama must have put it away. (grumble) She still works so I have to wait til she gets home to tell me where she put it. Y'know, it seems to run better with the fresh coat of paint.

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

What grit of sandpaper do you use? Is the tremclad gloss.... semi gloss?

11. fupabox

I used gloss tremclad but its more semi gloss (also added a touch of ENAMEL gloss enhancer and hardner to the paint to speed drying time)and sanded with 400,800,1000,2000 grit then polishing compound. under windshield is flat black.
    richard any pics yet?

12. Meesho

Meesho Member

Do you just use a regular air compressor and gun? Any special tools required? Is an air drier required? Do they sell the hardener at Canadian Tire?

Thanks for the info. Sounds very interesting. I would like to attempt army green.

13. Glad you reminded me. I almost forgot to ask where mama put the camera. Well, DUH! she put it in the bag! OK I'm a moron. Posting in seconds.

14. OK. uploaded to the gallery. had a little trouble in the second coat. It got kind of windy and I almost ran out of pot life. As a result, I didn't get the finish I really wanted. Think I'll farm out the detailing, and put the roll bar back on.

15. fupabox

truck looks good richard are you gonna do the John Deere decals and yellow trim ? Btw was that 2 part paint you used or single stage? I'd like to use that John Deere colour on another project..I find it amazing that I can strip a vehicle of trim to paint it in an hour but reassembling takes me 2 days ;)
    Meesho...I used an hvlp gun and you need a water seperator inline with the compressor or you will get water spray occasionally. I got the pint of gloss enhanceer /hardner from an autobody supply store. There are several good sites online that tell exactly how to paint a car with tremclad (you need to thin it 50% with mineral spirits and apply 5-6 coats)some guys even use a roller to apply with amazing results. I spray 1 thin coat wait 2 hours spray another then let it dry overnight...sand out any runs/drips and whole body with 400 grit,wipe down then another 2 coats with 2 hours in between.repeat with 800 grit sandpaper.the next day. then final sand down to 2000 grit wet& dry (all sandpaper use wet&dry) then buff by hand or electric buffer (messy)
    Altogether cost maybe 60-70 bucks for 1 gallon Tremclad ,sandpaper,and some tremclad primer. Note!! if you paint inside doors and your truck was from asia you need to clean and degrease the snot out of the interior parts you are painting. All (exageration but close) Japanese smoke like chimneys and nicotine is very hard to get off. even after degreasing,then sanding and degreasing again, I still had major fisheyes inside the door panels.. had to resand and use primer and repaint insides again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  16. fupabox

Mine has never seen winter till last 1.. It was bought new by my ex-wifes-new-husbands-father:confused:;) they put it in the barn every winter.. I always told him I wanted it if he ever sold it, 4 years ago it became mine. Sadly selling now as I dont need it anymore

17. greg0187

Looks good! Impressive for an outdoor driveway job.

18. It is an alkyd enamel with an isocynate additive, smells like superglue going on, even through my mask. It will take several days to completely dry, so I am waiting to trim it out untill then. I have the stripes and am debating JD logos. I am almost certain to black out under the windshield like you did. Til then I'll putter around all clean. JD Green and black seem to go together real well, Nobody would ever guess it's an '89!

19. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Hey, it matches my tractor! :D

20. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

Acerguy, but does she think it's sexy? lol

hmm well this might be an alternative to the rhino liner if its as tough sounding as you guys make it.

21. I Plan on rhino lining the bed. Is that stuff pretty well behaved, or should I take the bedsides off and roll it on flat?

22. fupabox

I don't think it's as tough as bedliner it does resist scratches as if baked on..I did my whole bed and rear of the cab in bedliner (duraliner brand)(spray in tight areas and roll on on the flats, the roll on stinks to high hell) I wouldn't use any paint in it's place. I did hit all the seams in the bed and scratches with Tremclad "rust reformer" fairly new flat black paint that says it converts rust to an inert paintable surface. you don't want rust doing its magic hidden behind bedliner.
    Richard..I removed the bed sides and tailgate before rolling on the bedliner..mostly because i didnt want it dripping through the crack in the sides between the box and sides..the roll on doesn't run at all and dries real quick..you have to be careful to not overwork it or it will peel off on the roller as it dries..only pour out a bit at a time into the tray to roll.. I also added some silica sandblasting sand into the mix everytime I poured some into the tray (for extra non-slip...I mixed some(silica sand) into the paint on my basement stairs 10 years ago and it's still gritty and never wore off to this day) wear clothes you aren't fond of and bag your roller between coats it dries so quick and you don't want to throw away money on rollers

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  23. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Putting the rollers (or brushes) into bags (I use plastic wrap) is one of the best tips I've ever gotten. Works great and avoids a lot of extra work cleaning brushes if you have a job that is going to spread out over a few days.

Oh, and my sexy tractor. :D

[​IMG]

24. Thanks for the tips guys! I will Definitely mix a bit of blast media in with the paint. That way when the kids at camp try to snag a ride, they get a nice road rash. heh heh heh..

Nice Tractor Keith, I hear Valspar is now supplying paint to John Deere. The 'workin tractor' look just oozes testosterone! I've been successful once, If you are on your tractor in the neighborhood, I would happily help paint. I think I'll go back and get another quart and keep it in the locker so I get the same color batch as last time.