1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vacuum switch

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by the pou, Oct 28, 2010.

1. the pou

the pou Member

I have a carry 1993,i just did a complete over hall off all my vacuum line,with informations from this forum(pictures) and the shop manual, i got everything figured out, exep one thing...there is an electirc vacuum switch onder the
    bed off the truck(midle)
    can any one tell me where the 2 line on that switch goes, and what is the
    role of that switch.. i suspect that it lock the front axle when i engage the 4x4x4. am i whright? if possible, i would like to know exactly where the vacuum
    goes thanks.

2. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Picture of the switch in question would be nice....The vacuum swithes to engage the front are right on the differential. One of them is actuated by axle lock switch and the other by little switch on 4WD lever.

Attached Files:

3. the pou

the pou Member

switch

i knew there was two signals to engage the front dif. you are whright,then i wonder what is the fonction off the switch in question.
    im sory for not providing a picture , my camera is broken.
    the switch is over the rear of the transmission, it is screwed onder the floor of the box.

4. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

If it is the vacuum switch with only one vacuum hose and electrical wires. This is the fuel cut off relay. If you were to tip your truck on it's side this switch will cut off fuel and turn off engine and any possibility of fires. But without a picture I can't be positive maybe somebody else can give it a go!!!

5. mullenauto

mullenauto New Member

4WD help....

I have these 2 switches on the Carry I am working on. The front driveshaft spins when the shift lever is pulled up, but the front differential does not engage. If I manually move the actuator it will lock in. There is a vaccum supply from the engine to the solenoids and I put the line directly on the actuator, the front differential will engage.

How is the power and grounds supplied and supposed to be on this solenoids? We have good voltage to one (lights test light nice), and low voltage on the other.
    Any ideas?

6. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

axle lock question

If you read thread "axle lock question" post #7, this might clear some of your questions.:confused:

7. mullenauto

mullenauto New Member

I dont seem to be finding this thread. Do you have a link to it?

8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

9. mullenauto

mullenauto New Member

What if this truck does not have the push button 4WD switch on the dash? Does the Transfer Case Switch just turn the light on the dash on? How do the 2 solenoids on the front differential work? Do you have any type of wiring and vacuum diagram for this truck?
    I get no light on the dash when the lever is pulled into 4WD.

10. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Like an old JEEP,
    if you don't have an AXLE switch, your truck is probably not the free wheeling type but 4WD all the time. In this case you won't have the vacuum switches on the front diff. No 4WD lamp in dash either. Because these trucks go in 4WD as soon has you pull lever. These should never be engaged while truck is moving because serious damage can occur. Shearing the pin in the differential usually occurs if this is the only damage.
    When you pull 4WD lever and it doesn't go directly in 4WD something is busted.

Busted CV joint.
    Broken pinion.
    sheared diff pin.
    Stripped or sheared hub spindle.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. mullenauto

mullenauto New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, we do have the switches on the front differential. There is manifold vacuum to them. With the Lever down, we are in 2WD and the front driveshaft does not spin.
    When we pull the lever up, the fron driveshaft spins and front axle is not locked in. If we bypass the switches by applying vacuum to the actuator, fron the front axle will lock in and give us 4WD.
    My questions are what controls those front axle vacuum switches? How is the power and grounds associated to them? Does the handle or transfer case switch makes them work and in what order? Is there any wiring or vacuum diagrams for this vehicole?

12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

On my truck 1992 DD51T there is a switch on the 4WD lever that actuates one of these differential vacuum switches. The other vacuum switch is activated by Axle lock switch on lower right of dash. Both these vacuum switch valves ("VSV" on drawing)have to be activated for axle lock.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  13. mullenauto

mullenauto New Member

Do you happen to have a copy of this drawing for the wiring?

14. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  15. mikey

mikey New Member

my 1992 suzuki carry dd51t will not go into 4 wheel drive light on axle lock switch also does not light up could it be the switch if so were can i get one?

16. erixun

erixun Member

Could be your switch, but my money would go towards a leak in one of the vacuum lines. Not sure exactly where you could get a new switch, I would try the site sponsors....

17. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Read: If you read thread "axle lock question" post #7, this might clear some of your questions. Troubleshoot before thinking it is the switch. Before this switch is activated the differential has to go in lock mode; but before this the actuator must be activated but before this the switch in 4WD lever has to be activated plus you have to press axle lock. VSV are controled by control module. My guess is vacuum.