1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Replacement Batteries

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jliltd, Aug 1, 2007.

1. jliltd

jliltd Member

Does anybody know what part no. for a US-available battery for our mini trucks? I have a 1990 Daihatsu Climber with a bad battery and the terminal posts look suspiciously smaller than US batteries (it's a Panasonic brand). Another truck we have is an official US-Imported Mitsubishi and it has a Napa BCI-26 (Power 65) that looks the same size but it as the larger US terminal posts. I could go that route but would have to change the cable clamps to larger size.

Any ideas?

2. Brian Shirley

Brian Shirley New Member

We use a lawnmower battery that has flat posts. Just take the bolt out of the round clamp and slinde the ears of the clamp over the flat post of the battery and put the bolt back in. Brian

3. EastTexasMiniTrucks

EastTexasMiniTrucks New Member

Walmart has small lawn / tractor battery that fit perfect. And come with a great warranty! ;)

4. Colin

Colin Member

Is anyone using dual batteries? I notice the Sambar has a tray under the passenger's seat, in addition to the one on the left side of the frame. Makes for a great place to store an extra quart bottle of oil. :)

5. EastTexasMiniTrucks

EastTexasMiniTrucks New Member

One battery seems to work just fine for all of our trucks. But it never hurts to pack a spare.

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

We have used a dual battery setup in one that a customer wanted to take camping. We just used a Perko Battery switch for a boat and made it where he could switch to the other battery when he wanted to use the 12v accessory plug. That way he did not run the chance of killing the starter battery. Then when it drove it....he put the battery selector on both and the alternator would recharge both batteries. Just make sure not to move the switch with the engine running.

We have also done this on other vehicles using a constant duty solenoid. Makes for a nicer installation, but requires a little more work and electrics know how.

7. Colin

Colin Member

Sure, a typical battery isolator like an RV or dual-battery pickup installation uses. :)

8. hellobriansmith

hellobriansmith New Member

Adding to this old threat instead of starting a new one. I recently replaced my battery and opted for this car battery instead of the lawn mower one. It was still relatively cheap at Walmart. Overall the 151R size seems to fit my Hijet very well. I also bought these SAE to JIS terminal adapter to make the conversion easy.
    IMG_5201.jpeg

t_g_farrell likes this.
  9. LowKey

LowKey New Member

I'm about to just replace the whole battery bracket for a bigger bracket I got off amazon.

10. thedakotakid

thedakotakid New Member Supporting Member

:) Do you have a link for the different box?

11. Dewie

Dewie Member

I recently purchased my Hijet and installed in it is a battery for a mobility scooter (or so the diagram on the side says it is) - it's an AGM with flat posts and seems to fit in the battery box quite nicely.

12. thedakotakid

Is there any chance you have the model number of the battery? Price?

13. Dewie

Dewie Member

Unfortunately
    A) I am in Canada and the battery is from a Canadian company
    B) the battery was in a truck I recently purchased so I have no idea a price.

I AM able to tell you it seems to be a U1 series battery. Hopefully the photos attach

Attached Files:

14. thedakotakid

Thanks for the details! If you are up in SK or MB, I am right below :)

15. Dewie

Dewie Member

Look a few thousand miles to the east - I'm on the far east coast of the mainland :)

16. ionstorm66

ionstorm66 Member

I used a XSPower PS975L AGM, it had M8 screw terminals. I then used these JIS adapters that had screw terminals on top. That way I could use the stock terminals and ring terminals for the winch.

Screenshot_20240127-085346~2.png

17. LowKey

LowKey New Member

Attached Files: