1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update suspension shocks and strut braces

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Vannie, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Vannie

Vannie New Member

has anyone tried fitting after market upgrades to the suspension or strut braces as i want to mimimise body roll when cornering and want some advice please

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Strut braces do not do anything for body roll, they improve chassis flex. Instead you want to look at swaybars for that. The Sambar does have a front swaybar stock, which could be possibly replaced with something bigger. Adding one in the rear is sort of tricky since the engine and transmission is back there.. but I suppose it could be done with some custom fabrication.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

There are a couple of books which you need to read before you start tweaking chassis and suspensions.

“How to Make Your Car Handle” by Fredrick Puhn, and “Chassis Engineering”, by Herb Adam.

Both of them are well written, and cover a very hard, technical subject in simple terms. They are getting a bit dated, but they are the best of the basic suspension books out there for a non engineer.

rkrenicki likes this.
  4. Vannie

Vannie New Member

guys thanks for your help, I am actually an engineer, just wanted to know if someone had already done this to give me some pointers on what products fit or can be adapted and how easy it was to do and first hand experience on handling improvements.

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Both Puhn and Adams cover such esoteric things as bending and heat treating your own bars. I read both before engineering school, and again after. Learned a lot both times.

I got out of trying to build things to go fast over rough desert, and rally cars, a couple of decades ago.

But still have both on my active bookshelf.

There are some after market things available in Japan, but if you don’t know Japanese, they will be hard to source.