1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual AC Problem

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by DaddyGeoff, Jul 26, 2020.

1. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

It worked fine when I first got my 1990 Sambar Dias. When it quit, I charged it with a can of envirosafe R134a replacement with no results. (It's an r12 system) After reading other threads I thought maybe I overcharged it so I released some and it started working. I was able to check the low side pressure which was about 45 psi when running. Then it would only work when the fan was on low or medium. As soon as I select 3 the compressor cuts out. Today I tried it again and it only works with the fan on low but it will run for a while and stop for a few seconds and start again. When it's working, it blows nice and cold. There are no leaks. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Is the blue light on the A/C switch turning off when you flip thru the different speeds ?

3. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

Thanks for your response. Yes it does. I think I've figured it out because when I wiggle the speed switch sometimes it comes on so there must be a loose connection somewhere.

4. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Yeah , mine does the same thing , and I “fix” it the same way at the moment , I have to look at the wiring diagram to see but I think there’s two sets of contacts in the blower motor switch , one for the fan speed and another for the a/c

5. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

I'm trying to take mine apart now and it's not very easy. I'm looking for information on how to get the control panel out. I've got everything loose except the cables that activate the doors. Haven't figured out how to disconnect them.

6. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

I wonder if I could just bypass the AC one and still have it work with the button.

7. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

Well, I figured out how to get it apart and found the contacts in the switch all worn out, cleaned them up and put some dielectric grease on them and now I'm putting it back together. Turns out I didn't have to take it apart as far as I did. There's one screw you can get to if you remove the radio that opens the switch but be careful, there's a little spring and copper piece that will fall out but it's obvious how it goes back in.

8. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Cool
    Figured it was something like that , looking thru my Japanese manuals and trying to find the wiring diagrams For the heater and a/c circuits, only found the most basic English translation book I bought that is good for super basic crap ( 75% or more you can figure out with a test light and basic circuit understanding)

9. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Here’s what I found , for some dumb reason my scanner/printer/copier , will copy and print but will not scan , it has to scan to copy so why I it won’t just scan and save anymore is I guess too much for it :rolleyes:
    So you get crummy camera shots 12837116-AE58-468D-98DF-D58D1575FE14.jpeg EC73B67F-E3B4-4933-BCE2-465A1BA7384B.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

can't really read that. Where did you get those? I have a friend that can translate Japanese for me. I have the Danko manuals and they're not much help. I just installed a new touch screen stereo with a backup camera and need to find the reverse switch to connect it to And the schematics I have don't show the backup circuit.

11. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

I’ll try to get better pictures
    When I got my Subaru van it was having transmission issues And I got the same $$$ English manuals and sort of blew for my needs . I went on yahoo auctions JP and found a bunch of manuals from parts,svc ,wiring and trouble shooting.
    Yes they are in Japanese but with all the pictures I go from in the stadium to the infield and a little google translate Plus being mechanically inclined gets me to home plate 99.5% and the rest I use the poke it with a stick method ;)

DaddyGeoff likes this.
  12. DaddyGeoff

DaddyGeoff New Member

You sound a lot like me. Maybe those Japanese manuals have a sunroof electrical schematic. Mine quit working. We took the Roo out for a spin today and the AC is working great now. I see you have three mini trucks. Do you live on a farm? I'm planning a trip to Maine next month with my wife, in our motorhome towing my Little Roo III, I call it, on a trailer. May I stop by for a visit?