1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unlock 4th gear in mitsu 3 speed trans

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by flymillen, Feb 9, 2013.

1. flymillen

flymillen New Member

Okay, I found out how to make our 3 speed mitsu trans a 4 speed trans. It is a 4 speed trans, they just put a limit collar on the 3rd gear shift rail! Start by pulling the front throwout bearing collar (4 bolts);remove snap ring on shaft; pull all bolts out of the rear housing; pull trans apart at front side of case; tap main shaft to help separate it. It all slides out as one assembly, so on the shift rail you see a small collar; remove it.That's all! Then put it all back together. You now have a 4 speed trans. Sweet, huh! For more info email me, Mike @ flymillen@cox.net or fly-electric. I have pics if you need them. OK SO YOU SEEN VIDEO WELL THERES MORE YOU HAVE TO GRIND THE GEAR FOR SYCRO TO IN GAUGE NEW VIDEO TO COME

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Trey 4x4 likes this.
  2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I don't have a Mitsubishi but u should post the photos up on the forum sometime

3. Daner

Daner Member

4. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea I saw that just now

5. wfo speedracer

wfo speedracer New Member

I own one of the Mighty Mits LH drive models, I believe some of these don't even have a gear there, this is one of the few times I would really like to find out I am wrong.

6. deshet

deshet Member

I know this is old but do all of the American 3 speeds have a extra gear?

7. Russell Goodman

Russell Goodman New Member

Still wondering that myself. 1990 mighty mits here. According to Dan, the American three speeds don't have a fourth gear. However, I will be investigating this for myself. My lady likes to go fast, lol.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Even if they are in the same case: I would expect to see a spacer, instead of a gear. The gear would cost significantly more to produce than a spacer. It takes far more machine steps to cut a gear, than a cylinder.

Early seventies Toyotas, imported to the US had either a 4-spd, or a 5-spd transmission in the same case. The 4-spd had a spacer on the cluster where the 5th gear would be, and they had a different shift rail assembly.

Limestone likes this.
  9. Russell Goodman

Well, it is official. My mighty mits is a 4-speed transmission. there was a blocking collar on the shift fork on the 3/4. Disassemble my transmission remove said blocking collar, and voila magical 4th gear. I can understand why this production version of the American market Mitsubishi only has 3 gears. It's limited to 22 and 1/2 mph by the governor. Learning new things about my little toy everyday.

Limestone likes this.
  10. Russell Goodman

Okay, in the words of Richard Hammond, egg on face, humble pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So yes, there is a fourth gear on the shaft, yes, you can remove the spacer and you can then slide the syncro forward towards that gear, yes there is a blocking ring that is also on 4th gear, but in my jubilation towards doing so, failed to realize that there are no teeth on the 4th input shaft gear.

11. Russell Goodman

So here is what the concern looks like. It appears that Mitsubishi didn't want to take the time to cut the teeth on 4th gear which is on the right of the shift fork and copper blocking ring in the picture. Possibly about to attempt insanity because I have a friend with a machine shop who says he thinks he can cut teeth in it for me. I'll keep you posted.

Attached Files:

12. Russell Goodman

So because I don't like to take no or can't for an answer, I've contacted a local machine shop to help me with my lack of teeth on my 4th gear. Here's what the uncut teeth looks like next to the properly cut teeth of 3rd gear.

13. Russell Goodman

14. Russell Goodman

Been having an issue with posting a picture, worked the other day, I dunno. Hopefully will post some soon