1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U42T Sudden Loss of Power

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by zazenmaster, Dec 29, 2014.

1. zazenmaster

zazenmaster Member

Hi folks;

I have a 1992 U42T with a 3G83 engine.

A few times lately I've been driving along just fine when suddenly the engine power takes a nose dive. It doesn't really sputter or buck; it's like the fuel supply has been cut. Each time I've been able to pull over to the side of the road. Once it stalled completely but restarted immediately with no trouble. The other times it just settled down and started idling smoothly by itself.

It may be coincidence but it's always happened when I'm going up hill, which makes be wonder if maybe the fuel pump is weak and the extra effort of pumping fuel up hill is too much for the pump. Acceleration is fine when she's running, so I don't think it's the fuel filter, but I could be wrong.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Robb

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Robb, I would start at the fuel tank and move towards the carb.
    Don't discount the oxidization on elec. contacts inside dust. cap.

3. zazenmaster

zazenmaster Member

Thanks

I'll look into both of those things. Thanks T&H!

4. zazenmaster

zazenmaster Member

Bingo!

It was the fuel filter.

Thanks again for the sage advice.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If you never have done it clean the contacts inside dist. cap you may get a surprise at how well it runs if they are oxidized.
    Just minor little things like oxidation on dist. contacts, changing plugs, plug wires, running sea foam in fuel ect, a clean air filter makes a lot of difference n these little. These things don't cost much but often over looked.
    I always think the worst first and most of he time it turns out to be something simple.

6. Donald McRonald

Donald McRonald New Member

Hey there, been awhile since this post but maybe you're still around...

I just got a '95 U42V, and have noticed a little bit of power loss when climbing hills. Been curious about the fuel filter myself, as I have no idea what maintenance has been done on this prior to me getting it. Bout to get started on an oil change and figured a fuel filter replace might be a good idea too.

Was replacing the fuel filter a straight-forward task? Also your motor is EFI correct?