1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U42: Revs fine in neutral, rough idle when in gear, no power in gear.

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Sunrise Valley Tree Farm, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Hey all!
    I bought this 1994 Mitsu Minicab 4 months ago and it drove great for the first 800 miles. Then one hot day on a 50mph road, it was losing a lot of speed on the uphills. I could smell something burnt, but wasn't sure of the smell.

For the past few months...when in neutral, it revs well and maintains it's idle. The second you put it in reverse or drive (it's an auto), then it bogs down and rpms are so low it hardly stays running. It will move around the yard at 5mph, but when you give it full throttle, it's like the engine is not hearing the call for more fuel. My engineer friend said it's likely a sensor to an air to fuel ratio. I swear I can smell a bit of fuel

Was hoping it was a common issue, or was hoping someone had a parts rig that I could buy a few parts from?

Thanks,
    Andy Rianhard

2. If anyone is willing to help, or help source parts, I will pay you!

3. Sounds like the U42 is carburated... my friend removed the carb last night and is waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive. Anyone happen to have any links/writeup/videos of their carb rebuild?

4. Jacob Field

Jacob Field New Member

Did you ever get this figured out? Mine is having similar issues - when I put it in gear and try to move, at low speeds it's OK but as soon as I try to go anywhere faster than around 5MPG it bogs down and starts smoking.