1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning on Fan/Lights drops idle speed a lot, how do I fix this?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by froek, Feb 29, 2012.

1. froek

froek Member

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Only the Honda's with AC or automatic transmissions had solenoids or vacuum pulls to increase the idle. My alternator pulls the idle down some if I have the lights and heater fan on high. I did notice it wasn't as bad after I put in a higher amp battery. The only time I drive mine in the dark is during deer season and those are just short deer retrieval trips.

3. froek

froek Member

Ahhh I see. That is good to know. I thought there was something wrong. I need daytime running lights and unfortunately the guys who wired it up fused them so that they are always fully on instead of dimmed. I'm not happy about it but I haven't bothered to fix yet.

4. sanchez

sanchez New Member

how did you fix it did your problem get solved? are do you need still more help.

SUV Parts

5. chrisvonlehe

chrisvonlehe New Member

I have the same problem on my 91 honda acty van. its the 5 speed with a/c. I read in a different forum there is something called an EACV that adjusts for this in the honda crx but cant find any info about the acty van. Anyone know more about this?
    thanks

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

On my Acty with automatic trans and aircon, idle goes automatically a bit up when more power is needed from the alternator = when I switch lights on and/or aircon.
    I assume there must be a relay which actuates this. Unfortunately I do not have the wiring diagrams, maybe someone can check in the Honda Acty workshop manual.

7. Cole

Cole Member

Generally this is done with a vacuum solenoid on the side of the carb. There should be a relay which controls the vacuum to the solenoid as mentioned above. Relay on = vacuum = high accessory idle.

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

so one of these 2 then http://minkara.carview.co.jp/image....00/001/808/517/1808517/p7.jpg?ct=e67d9860e4e9
    I replaced both about 2 years ago, 1 was still working, then other one was stuck, in the case of my car there was not enough air coming into the carb and unburnt fuel could be seen from the exhaust.
    Maybe someone has the workshop manual and can tell which relay and where it is located. But first of all I would test both valves. Easy to do, just disconnect the cable and use a battery + - minus and connect to the valve directly.

9. shogun

shogun Active Member

here
    Honda Acty vent and fuel slow cut solenoid. Troubleshooting carburetor on honda acty carb

10. chrisvonlehe

chrisvonlehe New Member

that looks promising. ill post an update when i have a free weekend. thanks very much!