1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo'd sambar ks3/4?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Adam Wheeler, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

Anyone seen this before?

I clearly see a turbo housing, which looks very similar in size to that from a jetta tdi maybe slightly smaller.

bbp5.jpg

2. Adam Wheeler

Adam Wheeler Active Member

Are these clover4 engines capable of handling way more power then what they current have? anyone investigated that? similar to how reduced the stock 2JZ engines are in the old supras, but with some relatively minor tweaking you can open them up to 500hp+ ?

A turbo and an inter-cooler on these I would think would almost double the horsepower.

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The Subaru Vivio RXR was basically a Micro WRX and used the clover 4. So.. kind of, but they were also available in the KS4 as a supercharged engine, and there are differences..

That looks like an RHB31/ VZ21 which would be 'right' for 660cc. The RHB31 is the OEM turbo for the 660 Suzuki's

4. banzairx7

banzairx7 Active Member

I looked into the parts diagrams. The crank and rods are the same. The pistons are different. Probably higher compression on the non supercharged version. If you were going to run like 7psi boost should be a non-issue. In practice though I wouldn't bother trying to turbo anything but the supercharged version. Putting a turbo on a carbed engine can be done but it's a pain and never works quite right. The supercharged version already has fuel inejction and was set up for boost from the get go.

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The pistons of the Supercharged engine are slightly concave to lower the compression ratio. The stock supercharger in my Sambar pushes 0.6kPa (about 8 psi or so), so if you were going to turbo.. I would aim for higher than that..