1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning my 1989 Suzuki Carry

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Sicamousian, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Hi all; I am doing a tune-up on my new (to me) '89 660 cc Carry and have new plugs, distributer cap, points, rotor, and plug wires on order. I am guessing to gap the plugs at about .32, but not sure about the points.. I have searched the site but can't find anything to help.. My question is what do they recommend for the points? Thanks in advance.. Sure enjoying this little beast so far...;)

2. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Distributor point gap?? Anyone??

3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Since your guessing, why don't you guess about .40-.45, for the points!

4. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Ha ha.. I was thinking more about 20 - .25, but .40 to .45 sounds good too..

5. Limestone

Before I changed to Pertronix E.I.(eliminating points), I set mine at .40 and it ran well!

6. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Got it.thanks .. .40>.45 it is

7. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Found out something interesting about my Carry today.. Seems that it is a F5A and is 543 cm (3).. I thought they were 660 cc. Does this mean that mine is only 543 cc? I got this from the sticker under the driver's seat.. Getting more confused about it all the time.. I can post a picture of the label if I ever figure out how....

8. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Yep it’s a 550, they used it till late 89

9. Limestone

I was wondering about that, when I first read that post! Good catch, Koffer!

10. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Point gap is set with a matchbook cover as a feeler gauge. That’s how it was done when I was young. (Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth)

fmartin_gila likes this.
  11. Limestone

trktrd,
    HaHA, Good point, I almost put that in! I absolutely remember those days, and it worked! Oh yeah, and I do miss the Dinosaur days!!!
    Limestone

fmartin_gila likes this.
  12. Sicamousian

Sicamousian New Member

Upon further investigation, my 1989 Carry has a fifth gear, (even though only 4 are marked on the shift knob), and on the engine it says 660. I am assuming it is a LATE '89 with the '90 engine and transmission.. Is this possible? I guess with these things almost anything is possible.. It certainly is a fun little vehicle to drive, but I would hate to be in a head-on crash with anything larger than a bicycle, or a small dog.

13. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Not a lot of sheet metal between your legs and the stock bumper. That is one of the reason I made a steel bumper on mine.

Limestone likes this.
  14. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Could have been a swap too , seen a few come thru with a newer ( larger) motor and transmission in them . They are 25+ years old so anything is possible . There’s been a few Frankenstein Kei’s I’ve seen hit the shores from 4wd chassis that were now missing a few key components like a front diff and drivetrain, DD51Ts that were now Hard side dump beds . “A/C” Equipped trucks that were just dash swaps .
    As for the safety, hey I “am” the crumple zone