1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to decide on a mini truck

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by James74656, Sep 4, 2020.

1. James74656

James74656 New Member

Hello all, figure I would join up and post, yes I know I could intro this post but I figure I would be better served putting it here.

I am Jim, 33 and looking at mini trucks, I live in the CT area, and have no issues working on my own vehicles (and oddly these mini trucks look tones simpler compared to more modern offerings and compared to similar year US vehicles....) but alas I have a few conundrums that searching will not solve (preference issues and opinions) anyways onto the fun....

I have more or less narrowed down my decision to either Suzuki Carry or Daihatsu HiJet, however I can't seem to settle on one or the other, and I took a few for a test drive, Daihatsu, Suzuki, and a Autozam (Mazda), and a Honda, and each one was a blast... I love having the engine in the rear on the Suzuki, but having the engine in the cab might help with the colder winters?, doesn't really matter, but been stuck on either Hijet or the Carry...

so perhaps I could pick your brains on the two, I know they both have the 660CC engine and 5 speed with 4x4 so they have the functions I would want.

my other issue is finding after market parts and radios and other tidbits I want to customize it with (yes I want to personalize it a bit), I have an aftermarket steering wheel that I want to put into what ever mini truck I get, but can't seem to find the adapters required (been searching the great google for a few days now which is what lead me here btw) so again I am hoping perhaps I can pick the brains of the collective some? anyways thanks for the help that is provided and hope to settle on a mini truck soon (may even get a micro van while im at it....)

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

There are steering wheel adapters available for the Hijet, you just have to use one for one of the other Daihatsu vehicles.

I like the mid engine of the Hijet because they give you a more even weight balance. My Hijet is within the limit of the truck scales accuracy, (20-lbs) of a perfect fifty fifty weight front to rear.

And, I highly recommend a dump, or pick-lift/dump version. The engine access is considerably better. On the standard trucks you access the top of the engine by reaching though a hatch in the bed. On the trucks with a dump bed, you tilt the bed up, secure the ram with a block, and remove the engine protection plate, which is held on with eight 6-mm bolts. And, you have full access to the engine. Additionally, because your bed has a front which is about Two or three inches behind the cab, there is space at the back of the cab, and in front of the bed to mount relays, etc for optional equipment.

As to the radio, I mounted a Bluetooth enabled mechless drive in mine with no issues, (you can protect and use the factory radio wiring by buying an adapter for a Toyota, Daihatsu’s sister company). That way you have the constant hot, switched hot, and ground all wired without cutting things up. If you were to try mounting a radio with a tape deck or CD player you could have issues with the depth.

My Hijet had the cutouts in the sheet metal of the door for 4-inch speakers, and matching perforated circles in the door panels. So, mounting decent speakers was pretty easy. They aren’t really loud, but the cab isn’t very big, so it doesn’t take much to fill it with music. I ran the speaker wires out through the headlight wells, and then back behind the “fenders” to the front of the doors.

I’ve never played with a Carry so I can’t speak to them. But, I would definitely buy another Hijet. One of the 95s with the fuel injection might be nice, but now that I have figured out the carb, and G&R Imports sells rebuild kits for the carb, I don’t think it is a necessary feature.

I installed a 90-amp alternator and a bunch of lights on mine, because it bought it to plow with. I was looking at a UTV to plow with, and after watching other guys plow on them wearing to pairs of Charhart insulated bibbies, and still freezing their tuchas off. I noticed a little mini truck one day in a parking lot. Didn’t take me long to figure out that something with an enclosed cab, and a heater, made a lot more sense as a plow vehicle. So, I started researching the kei trucks. It came down to the Suzuki Carry and the Hijet. And, when one of the importers I had been tracking during the longshoreman strike, had a low use age Hijet with the pick-lift/dump option and air conditioning show up, I jumped on it.
    D789E74A-F603-4C19-A82E-16BF3410854C.jpeg 31255C87-E119-45A3-81B9-CB87344BB502.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  3. James74656

James74656 New Member

as for the radio I am planing on going mechless, all my cars have been done that way, as I use a USB drive with all my music so I am covered there, which Toyota car would cross over as far as adapter? or is it an Any option, take your pick type thing?

on the steering wheel bit, which Daihatsu vehicles would fit? would I be good with grabbing one off a Mira or something? not really sure of all Daihatsu car models but meh, I can learn I suppose...

I am thinking of grabbing one with a dump bed my self, makes more sense for serviceability, I also am not afraid to pull the bed if I need to, done that on a few anyways....not hard, 8 or so bolts and done....

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Welcome James and Good Luck! Jigs has given you a lot of great info, as usual, and I agree with him! It's great that you want to personalize your vehicle, that's the whole reason to get and have one, in my opinion! The scissor/lift, for me is a must! I wouldn't want one with out it! Especially for the easy access, for working on it. Enjoy!
    Limestone

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

On the radio harness, I took the old radio with me to the parts house, and just looked for an adapter for a Toyota that looked the same. But, I think they only had two or three options.

Steering wheel adapter, the Mira one should work.

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I daily drove a '92 Carry for 2 years in summer and winter.. It gets warm in the cab EXCEPT the front cab wall is not insulated at all. So your feet will be cold pretty much all the time.. The heater core is adaquate to keep warm but it never gets too hot. My blower motor was on high, max heat defrost all winter.. That said, I don't know as I would want one another winter.. I upgraded to a Suzuki Jimny which is a JDM version of the Samurai. 660cc turbo, real tires, heat AND A/C

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

The heater on my Hijet keeps things at shirt sleeve, temp whenI plow snow, at temps as low as -20F.

8. James74656

James74656 New Member

Well I don't have a NEED for the lift (though I am curious how high it goes max lift, and if its usable as a work platform?) as for the front wall of the cab always being cold and not insulated, that is an easy fix (planing on insulating and sound dampening the entire cab anyways), as for the heat I Normally run with the heater set to floor/defrost mode all winter so again no issue there to me, as for getting a Jimni, well if i already didn't have my Wrangler I would consider one, but again Wrangler is already in the stable and its a 2 door 4x4 manual so.........the mini truck is a must, its planed to replace my super large barge of a F250 x-tended cab with long bed....

PS: would this steering wheel adapter fit the Dihatsu HiJet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-HUB-D...714691&hash=item2aef288d3e:g:DK8AAOSwm4tdYRnz

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. Limestone

The lift work platform goes up to 6 ft. plus depending on your truck lift options! I enhanced my suspension all the way around, and my platform is at 6 feet 4 inches! I plan on getting sound suppression insulated padded material from summit racing and sticking it to the firewall, floor, and any area that is exposed to the outside.

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

here is mine at full lift.
    1933000A-D2C8-4210-8F14-3E73A0BCE813.jpeg

11. James74656

James74656 New Member

cool, what about the steering wheel adapter I posted, do you think that would fit a Dihatsu HiJet? I am trying to find one as I already have the steering wheel (was originally intended for a Mustang that I had but traded in for a Jeep)

12. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

James search the forum for the following words. What I look for when buying a used mini truck. I wrote this about 10 years or so ago and will give you some additional information about each of the trucks. Matter which truck you get it sure beats the alternative like a John Deere gator.

Limestone likes this.
  13. James74656

James74656 New Member

if it's the post I think you'r referring to I did try to read through that, but there was nothing there in your first post but a bunch of periods? I have been testing a few and narrowed it down to either the Daihatsu or Subaru/Suzuki unless your referring to another post that I missed else where

14. Limestone

James,
    I am not sure on the steering wheel adapter! I'm sure others, like Jigs and Fixtures, could possibly help with that. I haven't had mine off, and I wouldn't want to give the wrong info!
    Limestone

15. James74656

James74656 New Member

fair enough, I have a pretty good handel on the technical stuff, its just more where I have the issue deciding on which brand I want (granted they are basically identical with minor variations like the interior design) but yea.... :D as for reading on what is what, I am already planing on gathering parts the moment I pick one up so I can not only do a full service fluids change, but most likely tear down the engine and replace every thing that I can, like the belts or timing chain, injectors, filters, clutch, ect, but that's just me......

16. Limestone

James,
    That's pretty much the way I did mine! Not really knowing the history on mine as much as I'd like to. When I replaced the decent looking timing belt, due to age and minor fission's,(cracking), any wear item part that I can replace, I replace!!! It's always been my practice while I'm in there to do it, then! I did replace the water pump while I was in there, just easier! You are right in assuming for the most part that these can be easier to work on, but keep in mind that parts can be pricey at times, when available! Good Luck!
    Limestone

17. Limestone

James,
    Jigs posted earlier, that a Daihatsu steering wheel adapter will work for the Daihatsu!
    Limestone

18. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’m at about 85% certainty that the adapter you powered would probably work.

19. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I see it was missing so I revised and re-posted it in that very spot again.

Limestone likes this.
  20. James74656

James74656 New Member

cool, thanks, ill be sure to go through it.

21. Afromus Prime

Afromus Prime New Member Supporting Member

Hey James, did you have any luck with the Momo adapter?

22. James74656

James74656 New Member

I haven't purchased anything yet as I have decided to hold off on aquireing a mini-truck until I either sell my current truck, or 2021 which ever happens first, most likely I will get the Dihatsu, but I have also been looking at a few Subarus so, I don't want to get parts before I have a truck.

Afromus Prime likes this.
  23. Limestone

I like how your thinking it out!

24. James74656

James74656 New Member

Thanks, while I am chomping at the bit so to say to get one because in the short 5 minutes I had with a test drive of one, I had a blast, and it was a kid in a candy store moment, but I just do not see the point in getting one when were so close to end of year and the next model year will become fully legal to import and drive...and I would like one that is as modern as possible (OBD wise), radio wise I would like one with the built in stereo speaker self contained unit type thing, but what ever happens happens.

25. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The OBD system we know as OBD II was not implemented into Japan until 2002 IIRC. The majority of models stayed about the same until 1999 or so, where some got EFI earlier than others, like the Sambars getting EFI with the supercharger, or Carry Turbo ( rare ) after 1995.

Keep in mind, that the import clock runs to the month, not just the year but 1996 isn't bringing anything to the table that isn't in a 1995.. For instance Suzuki was happy with carburators into about 2000 when they finally stopped using the F6A

26. James74656

James74656 New Member

I see, thanks for that info, so it seems like I would be just fine with a 95, as for carbies, I don't know why but I prefer carbies with manual chokes , but ehh....who knows?