1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True or False? Door Locks

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by DEG95DH, Dec 20, 2021.

?

TRUE or FALSE? You CAN lock your one key in the cab of a Daihatsu Hijet?

1. TRUE

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. FALSE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

TRUE or FALSE? You CAN lock your one key in the cab of a Daihatsu Hijet? (a.k.a. You CAN lock your Daihatsu Hijet without a key?)

Opine.

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Should be able to but I have Suzuki. For most Japanese vehicles of this vintage you push the button down on the doors and when you close the last door you hold up on the handle as its closed and it will stay locked. My Joypop works like this and so does my 80 RX7. I guess thats what you are asking?

3. shogun

shogun Active Member

Yes, happened to me already, but luckily it happened at home, so I used my 2nd key to open the door again. When door is open, pull the door handle up from outside and hold it up, push the button down inside the door (handle still pulled), then close the door, the car is locked. That is not only on older cars, same on my 2021 Hijet.
    That is the reason I now keep a spare key in a magnetic key case hidden somewhere under the car.

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

As already noted, this is the way many older Japanese (and apparently even some current!) used to function.

t_g_farrell likes this.
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Looking at the door handles, both interior and exterior, and the internal mechanisms on my Hijet, I am 90% certain that they are identical to the ones on my 77 Toyota Hikux. And, they are definitely identical in function..

Push the lock button down, and lift the exterior handle as you shut the door. It is locked.

t_g_farrell likes this.
  6. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

Apparently I have stumbled into a room full of ace students. I figured I'd get at least one with a "whoa! -- I didn't know that!"

The first few days I was playing with Bumble**, I recall thinking: "oh, cool, the doors automatically unlock when you close the door...that way, I (read: my wife) can never lock the keys in!" A few days later, as I went to close the locked door, a learned reflex kicked in, and I held the handle up as I closed the door. Stayed locked! I hadn't done that since I was a kid closing my parents Datsun's 280Z doors. (Don't worry! -- the other door was still open.)

But then I cursed, because I realized I needed to have a contingency plan for when I (read: my wife) lock the key in.

Perhaps one day I will share how I (read: I) locked my 1996 Lexus LX450 while it was running. (That was not supposed to be possible!) That was an interesting few hours.

**Bumble -- the abominable snowman chasing Yukon Cornelius. My wife names our vehicles.

Acerguy likes this.