1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck won't start!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bannock, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bannock

bannock Member

Hey guys,

I need some assistance to figure out why my 91 hijet won't start. Used her last week to help a buddy move and it worked great until a couple days ago. It turned over still and I got it to actually start yesterday but I guess I didn't let it warm up enough, so when i let off the gas, she stalled.
    Theres been a couple times where it will seem like the truck will about to start but goes to just turning over. Got a couple back fires as well.
    If theres any other info i can give to help out let me know!

Thanks in advance,
    Calvin

2. bannock

bannock Member

not sure what changed but as of yesterday the truck starts and works perfect! Weird....

3. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Backfire is almost always lean fuel, low gas in float or wet distributor. Could have been stuck float unless something wet dried out.

4. copeina

copeina Member

You don't say where you are located, but high humidity (or slushy roads) have cause starting problems as you describe in some of our S83's. My solution is to carry a spraycan of dry-and-go and a screwdriver. Works every time. Seems like the distributor sucks in damp air and then it is game over.

/Kris

5. Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo Member

I loaned my brother mine to run up to the Home D. store.

He called me from there, complaining that the little lady wouldn't start, and could I come save him.
    I went up,
    cranked her, and she seemed dead.
    Then I did it again tapping the accelerator, and thought I could detect a change.

I let her rest a minute, then cranked her again, giving her full peddle then letting it up, she hesitated then roared to life.

I think he had flooded her.

Then I pointed out to him the transfer case lever was in low range. I shifted it to high, and left him and the lady and came on home.

A few minutes later, he arrived commenting that she sure does take off when she is in the high range.

Usually to start her, I just get in, and crank her, maybe hit the gas peddle but hardly ever have a problem. She is eager and ready even after a month or two of sitting through winter.
    thanks,

Nemo