1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Won't Idle!! 1996 Sambar

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by SLK SAMBAR, Sep 6, 2009.

1. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Truck won't idle. It starts hard and idle rough for 30-40 seconds then quits. I just purchased truck and it ran fine for previous owner. Started doing this after about a 6-7 mile ride. I can keep it running if I keep feathering the throttle. I tried turning the idle screw on top of the motor. It would idle a little fast but then just quit. Hope it's something simple.

Thanks

SLK SAMBAR

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. starpuss

starpuss Member

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

what does a pint cost btw?

4. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Tried the seafoam. Seems to have helped some. Engine still want to stop if I do anything but idle over 500 rpm. Tried to drive but engine stop if rpm fall below 1500. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Did you fill it up when you got it? See if you have a drain plug on bottom of fuel tank. I know Ive seen them on some trucks. Anyway drain some fuel and check for water. Sea foam is good but if you have a lot of water its tough to overcome that.

6. starpuss

starpuss Member

last time i got some was 6 months ago and it was 15 bucks or so (works real nice!) i tryed it in lots of stuff.

7. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Thanks T&H I'll try that and see what happens.

8. 98sambra

98sambra New Member

Starting with what Trax suggested altho I would drain it all. You can use the gas if good else where. Fresh gas sea foam or b 12 then check for restriction in the gas line to gas filter, fuel pump then carb.

9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like it could be a vacuum hose that came loose/cracked as well. Check all of them.

10. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

I drained all the gas from the tank this afternoon. Had some black flakey stuff come out probabley maybe two tablespoons. The gas was brownish milkish real hazey looking color definitely not brownish clear like it looks in the gas can. Didn't notice any water beading up in the gas really don't know what i'm looking for there.

Will put fresh gas in tomarrow and a new fuel filter and see what happens.

What am I looking for on the vacuum line beside one that's pulled off. Do you spray something on them to tell for small cracks or will it be obvious.

Thanks everyone.

Steve.

11. greg0187

Normally if a vacuum line is the problem it will idle high... but there are times where it could cause it not to idle as well. I've never tried it but I think you can use carb cleaner spray, I think thats the procedure for high idle problems. Just give them all a good look over just to make sure any didn't come loose.

12. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

I'll try that tomarrow if I can get it started. Thanks for all the info!!!

Steve

13. 98sambra

98sambra New Member

You will have to deal with the flaky stuff, as where did it come from or you will continue to have problems. The good part is that most of the problem may be behind the filter. I like sea foam as an all around cleaner but I would use a couple of gallons of gas and a can of b12 to wash out the tank as best you can [shake the truck] drain and then put fresh gas and filter.

14. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Hi, I cleaned the tank, put fresh gas in, put in new filter, checked to make sure it was getting plenty of gas to carb it was. Started it , it runs for 20-30 seconds at about 1200-1500 rpm then just dies. I can't see any vacuum hoses loose, off, or cracked. What you guys think I should try next?

Thanks

Steve

15. 98sambra

98sambra New Member

You may have several problems at once. You have gone from running rough to running at high rpm and dropping off. I am new to the Sambar engines but most carberated engine operate under the same principals. High rpm to remain running is usually a vacuum issue simple line cracked to hose off or not plugged. You may have corrected the trash up to the filter but may still have intermitting clogs in the fuel pump and or carb circuits Try detaching the fuel line at the carb. and have someone turn over to look at gas flow.Be sure to pull coil wire and have a gas catch can for the gas. If flow is good then you are good to go up to the carb at least. Before you pull the carb try to start the engine keep it running as best you can and spray starting fluid at the carb base and lines from and to the carb if it picks up there you are. High rpms and drops off is usually a good vacuum leaf or several small ones.You wouldn't have a power brake booster? Does all your vacuum operation work heat/ect. If you can do a compression test that would give you information as to condition of the engine altho I dont know what the spec should be but I'll bet someone this forum can tell you' As a side thought how are the plugs and points if you have them? Plugs can become gas fowled but not be black. This are small Cid engines so it doesn't take much to upset them .In relation my BMW rt1200 is twice the size of the Sambar. Also check all the form for like problems and information. Check air intake from air filter through to the carb. Good luck .

16. greg0187

Does it do this every time you start it now? Or... is it a one time deal?

17. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

It happens every time. It starts runs for a short time and dies.

18. TRAX and HORNS

Dont know much about Sambars. Does it have points and condensor? How does it run when you do get it started? smooth, rough, spits? Next time you get it running take off each plug wire one at a time and test each cyl. for firing. It should stall a little bit with one wire off a plug, youll be able to hear it. Test each cyl.
    Remember fuel ,air and spark. Gotta have this for it to run. We know it has air right? Does it have a electric fuel pump or mechanical pump? Mechanical pump you can test by breaking line between pump / carb. and turning over engine. Electrical pump may be over heating after it runs for a while?? Might take it off and circulate a gallon of gas for a little while and see if it stops. Some time ago I think it was a Suzuki, I was having a fuel delivery problem. It had a electric fuel pump and two filters.The first filter was coming directly off fuel tank(inline filter), next filter was a screen that was on the inlet side of electric fuel pump. Had to screw the end off of fuel pump and the screen was right there. It was a 50 % clog up with some green stuff. Cleaned it and installed new inline filter and bing go.
    Coil might be over heating after it runs for a while?? Find a shop that can test the coil. I am leaning towards something electrical over heating.

19. 98sambra

98sambra New Member

trash in fuel pump and or carb,vacum. Did you do or add any thing to the truck from the time the truck ran well and now?

20. greg0187

Right when it starts to die. Spray a bit of starting fluid into the carb and see if it picks back up. If it does Its probably a lack of fuel.

21. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

I sprayed some starting fluid in the air intake when the engine was about to die and it picked right back up. I unhooked the fuel line and wire from the coil and turned the truck over for about 30 seconds and it pumped about a quart of fuel. I put new plugs in. I spray the vacuum hoses with carb cleaner while it was idling high didn't do anything. I noticed once the engine warms up it won't even idle at high rpm it just runs maybe ten seconds on dies off. Thanks

Hafner likes this.
  22. greg0187

In my opinion I think there is a piece of trash or something is wrong with the idle circuit internally in the carb. The cold start circuit is working fine but when it switches over to the warm/idle circuit its not providing any fuel. Just my .02.

23. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Thanks Greg and everybody else. I think I've gone as far as I want to with this problem. I'll take it into the shop on Monday. I'll keep you posted on what they find.

Thanks

Steve

24. bobnalleweg

bobnalleweg Member

The Sambar has an electric fuel pump and dirt would cause trouble. Another vacuum leak could be the brake booster, it's located under the dash near the steering wheel. Disconnect the line at the manifold and plug the opening and give her a try.

25. starpuss

starpuss Member

is there a egr value on your mini truck'? my dakota would not idle when hot till i put on a new one. ?

also may be that your Temperature sensor is bad. (not the one going to your gauge but the one going to the motor computer)

26. SLK SAMBAR

SLK SAMBAR New Member

Finally got my truck back from machanic. They replaced the fuel pump. Checked compression. Three cylinders had 150 pounds the other had 90 pounds. Had the carb off and cleaned it up. Replaced some wiring that a rodent had chewed on. He spayed some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and thought he had found something but it didnt pan out. The truck still wont idle at low rpm. Will run at high rpm until the choke opens up and then quits. The machanic thought it might have a bad valve in the cylinder with low compression. What do you guys think.

Thanks

Steve

27. starpuss

starpuss Member

i sure hope they did not charge you much seeing they did not fix it..

28. TRAX and HORNS

The Daihatsu 3 cyl. should be making 170 min. to 210 max. 150 might be alright on the 3 cylinders but the 90 is way to weak. Could be a bad head gasket(hopefully), burned valve, cyl. wall crack, broke ring, piston. Look at that plug on the weak cyl. and see if it has junk stuck on and around ceramic part/electrol. That would till you if piston is gone. Pull your air box and look down the throat towards carb. and see if the engine has been dusted. To be sure start at the top and work down.