1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Rack

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by DAN CANAAN, May 16, 2021.

1. DAN CANAAN

DAN CANAAN New Member

When I bought Joey, thev94 Hobda Acty, I already had a vision of what I wanted to do. This was going to be a silly and fun vehicle, but also needed to be functional and working. I have a Chevrolet S10 pickup, but it isn't that convenient to haul stuff with, especially lengths of angle iron or tubing. I knew right off I needed an overhead storage rack like contractors use.

[​IMG]

These universal racks are $400-800, but Harbor Freight has their version at $300. It isn't light weight aluminum, but I wanted steel I could weld to, so that was fine with me.

[​IMG]

I was concerned how it would mount. I really don't want to lose the fold down sides, and while I the rack bolted to them now, I will see about welding up some standoffs to mount to the bed floor instead in the future. Until then, on the sides it goes.

[​IMG]

It is a universal kit, and surprisingly, it actually fits. I thought I might have to cut and narrow it, or shorten then length, but it turns out to be about damned near perfect out of the box. I don't have the front hoop in my vision from the windshield. The posts do not interfere with the rear view mirrors.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it is Harbor Freight, but I consider this sort of thing as a base kit of materials you do not mind modifying to what you want it to be. It assembled well, fairly quickly and is rock solid.

I look forward to mounting lights to it including LED amber strobes, traffic advisor, work lights, etc. Fire extinguisher is a must have.

Over the cab I might attach steel mesh as a platform and protect the cab roof. Not sure yet. Maybe a basket. The options are out there.

These are your trucks. They don't have to stay stock. Make them into what you want them to be. Joey is going to be for on site event management and with some knobby wheels, mild off road on forest service roads.

Nemini likes this.