1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck dies when warm

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jody, Feb 10, 2013.

1. splauchs

splauchs Member

Lol, I actually suspected that is what you meant as that term is occasionaly used here at work when we discuss the management (Sheepskin) vs the rest of us. So no Bud, nothing antique about it. Don't fret. But to answer it, I am not one of the fortunate ones. Anything I know (Or claim to know :) ) pretty much was learned cause I couldn't afford, or just didn't want to pay for someone else to do what I felt I could. It's a continuous journey for me, that's why it took several months to come to the conclusion that I need a new carb. Anyway, if my guess is right it's about 4:30 where you are at. Now that might give away your age being up so early. That coming from an old person (me) who can't sleep past 4 AM. :)

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

From what I understand Jones Equipment in Ft. Worth ,Tx still works on the S80 and S81 left hand drives. There are still a number of them being used across the USA in Gov. agencies. Jones used to get left hand drive parts from NAGATA Technology here in the USA. I understand that Nagata stopped supplying parts and thats when
    Magic Valley Mini Trks. stepped in to fill the void. Thats who Jones Equip. use now.
    I had to order the lower fuel cut off solenoid a couple of yrs. ago for a S81 and about passed out at the price (300.00)but thats what the problem was, there was no getting around it.
    Couple times a yr. you will see these S80 & S81's pop up at Gov. auctions and they go pretty cheap sometimes. Ive bought a few in the 800.00 range Good place to get a parts truck. But sometimes they go for a couple of 1000's depending on condition. For example at the Veterns Admin. Complex in Amarillo,Tx they had about six S80's that hit the auction block a while back and they went, if I remember right 2k to 3k ea.. Those trucks were being replaced by Tiger Trks. When I went to inspect the S80's I asked the maint. crew how they liked the new Tiger trks. and all of the guys said that they wished they would have kept the Daihatsu's even though they were 20 yrs. old.
    Anyway a month or two ago I spent a hour on the phone with Lavern @ Magic Valley and she said the S80's were her cup of tea and they do supply parts for them.
    Lavern hasnt been in the mini truck business very long but by talking to her I believe she has been well educated on them and her team understands them
    100%. Parts are not cheap by any means but she seems to be the only game in town for parts in the USA for left hand drive trks.

3. splauchs

splauchs Member

Hello TRAX, This truck is actually an S83, 1993 model RHD. Evidently not one specifically made for the US market. I'll bet Laverne has the knowledge to answer any questions on these no matter which engine it has though. I can't believe the price on that Solenoid you had to pay. I think I read that post somewhere about your endeavor getting it. Like you said though, if it has to be replaced to make it work, then so be it. There were several things wrong with my carb which probably any one of which would have justified buying a new one. The rebuilt carb, exact replacement for the original on my truck was < $300 shipped to my door. All things considered, that is a steal. Once it is installed then I can more easily troubleshoot my other problem which is what sounds like a firing "miss". You know, I've heard others talk about the Govt auctions. I've mostly ignored it but maybe I should take a closer look. I have a couple of kids ready to strike out on their own. I can see myself helping them on one of these projects. After spending the better part of 5 months on this one, I've come to see just how nice a piece of engineering work they are. Some of the things they built into it that weren't necessary, but add such a nice touch just makes me smile. I can't wait until hunting season to show off this baby. All of the high dollar (unheated and un-protected from the elements) golf carts running around will just pale next to this. And for a fraction of the cost. Makes me smile!:) Might prompt me to take it to some of those nice Texas hills you've got near San Antonio.

4. TRAX and HORNS

My bad , I thought you had a S80/81. S83's are my favorite trucks. Over the yrs. Ive built several personal hunting trucks that were S83's.
    Tough, pretty simple, dependable when you get the bugs worked out.

5. splauchs

splauchs Member

Not a problem. Since this is not a "Made for USA" truck maybe you haven't seen this. But do you know the purpose of the "Upper Bowl vent" solenoid? I know what it sounds like, but for the life of me I can't see why it is necessary. Just a curiosity thing since I am getting a Brand New Rebuilt one next week! Can't wait to slap it on there. This truck also has 4 solenoids for 4WD actuation. Nowhere in the forum nor in my manual did anyone mention that. But like I said before, nothing like having a problem to encourage you to learn how something works.

6. TRAX and HORNS

upper bowl vent solenoid? you talking about that solenoid that screws on the back side of carb. that has one wire going to it?

7. splauchs

splauchs Member

View attachment Solenoid.pdf DSCF4125.jpg Yes, it has one wire going to it, but is not the same solenoid as the speed limiter. There is a disc on the business end about the size of a dime that, if the fuel level in the bowl got too high, would allow gas to spill overboard. The disc covers a hole in the bowl when NOT energized. In this case, since the solenoid is bad, the hole was staying closed always. It ran, and ran even when I took the disc out thus exposing the hole. Don knew immediately what it was based on the model number of the truck. I made an attempt to include pics. Anyway, I am out of here for the weekend and intend to be far from this PC. Have a good weekend.

8. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Wow man........im gone for a few days and miss out on all the good stuff haha. Glad ya got er figured out. Hope your gone fishin!!

9. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

10. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

And yes it my mini-mog in the video hahaha

11. splauchs

splauchs Member

Hello Moose! Good to hear you are still alive and kicking. Nice job pulling with the Mini-Mog, impressive. These trucks never cease to amaze me. Hoping my carb gets here in a day or two. It will be a few days before I can install it, but at least in the meantime I can drool on it. Ha! Starting to collect the iron to build my front bumper. A friend has access to scrap left over from some projects at work and is getting some (free) that they would bring to recycle anyway. Thinking about using 3 x 3 square tubing, capping the ends, and making a compressed air storage tank. Then when I am bragging to my friends at camp about this cool mini-truck I can say "See that bumper, I can pump my tires up with the air in them" Hell, they might buy me a cold one for that.:) Gonna try to catch some Gulf Coast trout and Reds this weekend, you guys all have a good Memorial Day. TRAX, I need to admit something. Your screen name is catching, especially when I realized it meant "TRAX" as in deer tracks and not truck tracks, and "HORNS" as in the 8 Pt that keeps on slipping by me and not the Beep Beep kind. :) That would be a great name for a hunting camp truck. I'm gonna try and post a picture of the solenoid you and i discussed last week mounted on the carb. Might better explain what I have and may be beneficial to you in the future

12. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Well I'm sure by now you have the carb on and tuned..........hahaha how did your fishin trip go? I like your idea for your bumper. I also wanted on bored air but I went a different rout. I got a small 110 compressor with a 3 gallon tank and a power inverter and wired it all up. So now I have a way to make enough air for everyone and run a few tools if needed. I did have to change the drive pully so that it made air faster but that turned out easier than I thought. Hahaha. Hopefully I'll be putting my 3 inch lift on front soon. That will make me just shy of 5 inches taller than when I got her. Would of been almost 6 but the tires I have are 1.5" shorter than the ones I took off. Even though they say they are the same size...........go figure hahaha. Any way I'll let ya go. Just figures I would see how your doin

13. splauchs

splauchs Member

hello Moose! Good to hear from you. Yes, I did install the new carb. Wish I could say it cured all my ailments but it hasn't. Certainly is better though. And now I can concentrate on the ignition. Even though I have replaced the Dist Cap, Rotor, plug and plug wires it is still missing a beat. I never was really comfortable with the fit of the distributor cap but the fellow at G&R where I bought it from assured me it was the right one. I can't see anything wrong using the timing light but that doesn't mean I can see a problem if there was one. Plus it smokes a little. White smoke I think. I don't want to monkey with the carb adjustments since I understand it is preadjusted at the factory. It really seems to be an electrical issue. I might even put the original dist cap back on. Fishing has been rough here. Spent a lot of time on the water in the last month and a half but the winds have been a game changer. Then last week we had a little hurricane pass throught the gulf that through the tides all out of wack. Still, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work right right? :) Bud you will have to post pics of mini-mog when you complete that lift.

14. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Man. I always worry about y'all down there with those storms. When I was down there a couple years ago we had 3 twisters all touch down around us. Thank god we didn't get to feel the effects. The closest one totally took out a trailer park the other two were clear of people. Was crazy. I've been out in the bearing sea in 60 foot plus waves and over a hundred knot winds. I can relate to how the weather can take the catch part of fishing from ya hahaha. I've got all the metal for the lift. I'm making some BEEFY shackles for the rear. Just going to use those for now till I can order the spring perches. I had to order the bolts for the front crosmember that needs to be dropped. Apparently no one in Alaska uses a 12mm bolt with .125 thread count 80 mm long hahaha. I got my other 2 rims finally....... So now I feel like a kid the night before Christmas eve hahaha.

Have you done a compression check? Or a leakdown test on your radiator........ White smoke is usually water. Black is fuel. Blue is oil. Also might check your timing belt tentioner. If its loose it could allow your can to rock a bit...... But if your timing light says its steady......... Hard to say. Wish I was down there. I'd gladly swing over and help make things worse hahaha

15. splauchs

splauchs Member

Well, this one (hurrricane) wasn't even close enough to feel the wind change, but it certainly messed with the tides. Couple that with my lack of fishing luck and it makes for a tough go. But still had a heck of a time. I've seen pictures of the Bearing Sea with Deadliest Catch. I know all of those reality shows have a heaping helping of drama introduced, but those waves are not photoshopped in. Man, we have nothing like that here. (Except during a close hurricane.) But in general. Thanks for the thoughts on the smoke. I wasn't sure which color represented what. Yep, could use the help but that would be a long house call from Alaska to Louisiana. :) You're gonna have one heck of a machine when you are done. I went to the local Industrial Supply place this week to buy some iron to fab my front bumper. One of the guys happened to ask what I was working on. They seemed to really love the idea of the mini-truck and what i was using it for. Surprisingly some had never heard of it. So get this. I ordered a windshield wiper motor and arms unit from E-Bay. We are gonna make a remotely operated spotlight that will mount to the headache rack on the back side of the cab. I'll have to send you pics once it is done.

16. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Nice!! Ive been working on a remote setup of my own........but it involves a couple of paint guns on top hahaha. Glad to hear that people down there are cool with your project. Up here they are none too inthused hahaha. Mine makes em work too hard i guess hahaha. I got my rear shackles made and installed. I posted a pic on my resteration page. Im havin a heck of a time with the front. Shes fighting me the whole way. I did manage to blead on her a bit yesterday mayne that will help things along today hahaha.

I agree with you man. Any day fishing is better than anything else!! We drove our mini mog down to the beach the other day. Ive got to say........we need more power!!!! 4 low 2nd gear to get threw the soft stuff. Even on the harder gravel and sand i coulnd hold her in 4th gear. I really cant wait to get the front tire off and my 10.5 inch wide ones on to see how big a difference they make

17. Ray Lawrence

Ray Lawrence New Member

Has anyone figured out the stall and die once warmed up? I have a Honda doing the exact same. It has set over a year with me attempting it again occasionally. Please help.

18. jody

jody Member

My problem turned out to be the fuel pump. It would get hot and stop working. Went thru 1 pimp per year. Put in an electric pump and solved the problem.

19. I have the same problem, I believe! I have a 1984 sambar. It tough to figure out because it's an old 2 cylinder model with no distributor, just spark coil....... I believe that's what it is lol I know ATV's, not cars. Anyway, I bought it, worked great for a week and now it starts, drives fine for a few mins then starts spitting and sputtering and dies. I haven't really tried doing anything to it yet because it just started tonight but tomorrow I'm gonna try figuring it out but do you guys know much about the older M-kt2 sambars?

20. David Browning

David Browning New Member

My diahatsu hijet S210P is dying a lot today. I’m using it on our hunting lease and it’s starting dying. Many times if I keep my gas pedal to the floor it will catch on and keep going. It does start immediately every time after dying. I have been using regular gas with ethanol but adding Lucas ethanol gas treatment. Thoughts?

21. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

David, try, not to resurrect dead threads. This one was active in 2013.. Then somebody added a post in 2018, than a post in Jan of 2020, and now you.

At the bottom of each posting it gives the date and time it was posted.

If you click on a highlighted user name, it tells you some basic information about that poster. How many posts. How many likes. And most importantly when they were last on the forum. You were here yesterday December 7, 2021 at 1045.

Please start a new thread in the Daihatsu sub forum, and I can give you some ideas. Adding on to old threads just makes them really long and hard to search for information. They are still valuable as a resource, and can be read to gain knowledge. But, they just get too long for convenient searching.

Also add some information in you signature line as to which engine you have, and whether it has a carb or fuel injection, and a distributor or coil packs run by the Engine Control Module.

Acerguy likes this.