1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Cliff67, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Hello guys/gals I was hoping for some good info but can't find it so here goes. I have a 93 Mitsu U42T 660 4 speed manual, and would really love to have 5th gear, is the only way to do so by buying a different trans? I have read some where people have gone into the trans and removed something to open up the 5th gear just not sure if the Mitsu has the capability. I am a fairly good mechanic only 20+ years in class 7 equip so these Mini trucks are quite different for me. Any and all info help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Folks have gone in and removed blocking clips to allow transfer cases to go into high range, on LHD trucks imported with speed control systems.

I’m not aware of anyone enabling a fifth gear on a 4-spd transmission. But, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done.

Hopefully others will chime in soon, with some more definite answers.

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I remember years ago that there was a lot of talk about it with the Mitsubishis coming in with 3 speeds only and 4th and 5th gears blocked and also an electronic speed control system that was very complicated so you had to figure out both to get more speed. There was a member named Dan who managed a fleet of them for a golf course in Vegas and he helped a lot af people with both systems. As I recall they sold all the Mits. and went to Club Cars and Dan advertised his inventory for sale then pretty much dropped out. He is still listed in the members list but I don't know if you can go back through his old threads to get the info. I know there have been some members try to contact him without luck.
    This was in the early '90's when both Mits. and Daihatsu were exporting left hand drives to the U.S. and they were all restricted to off road only and 25 m.p.h.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

There's a You Tube titled Mitsubishi tranny unlock 4th gear, I think, shows how to change a 3 speed to 4 speed. The guy who did the video lives in San Diego and I went down there and talked to him once when he had a Mits, that he had converted to electric one time. He's a heck of a mechanic and the last I talked to him he was mostly into electric trucks and conversions. I drove the truck he had converted and it was 3 spd. I told him that it was either a 4 or 5 spd. so he tore into it and discovered how to do it. You do have to pull the tranny to remove a little sleeve from a shaft. I used to have his contact info. but can't find it now.
    By the way that truck with electric conversion is really cool and pretty snappy but cost prohibitive for me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Ok, his YouTube Chanel is FlyElectricCars, and this is the video:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Thanks, Jigs, I guessI didn't make myself very clear. Getting old Sucks!

7. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Thanks guys for all the information and for sending that video, I think Mike is offline as nothing active in four years. So I guess know I need to find out if the transmission in my right hand drive Mitsu is only a four speed or if they did the did the same as on the LHD models. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell besides pulling transmission first? My shift knob shows 5 plus reverse but we all know you can't go by that. Thanks again.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

I’m not at all familiar with the Mitsubishi trannies, so I can’t really give you any advice. I think a five speed would have another shift rail, and you may be able to see the ends of the shift rails from the outside. But, I’m not sure on that

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Mike was never a very active member. He's a really busy guy with a property mgmt. co. and converting trucks to electric . I doubt that he knows any more than he put in the video. Dan from Vegas would be a better bet but still not real good as he got out of them years ago. The biggest problem with these trucks in this part of the world is people get really into them for a while then burn out or lose interest because of lack of information. There are several videos on You Tube but all pretty much require pulling the trans. and some of them want you to do some pretty serious cutting that looks sketchy. Also they act like all mini transmissions are the same which I seriously doubt.

Limestone likes this.