1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transmission

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by chaseoe, Oct 5, 2012.

1. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I have to change the throw out bearing and i was wondering how hard it is to pull the transmission on a 1995 daihatsu s80 jumbo?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

pretty simple...if you are just replacing the throw out bearing ,you only need to back the transmission away from the engine about 8 inches...remove the driveshafts and undo the bellhousing bolts and rear tranny mount and back it away from the engine

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I did my Scrum a month ago and it took a couple of hours.While you're at you might as well do the whole thing.I got the set from G&R but it didn't include the pilot bearing,which was also shot.Napa matched it with an alternator bearing.I made a cradle out of 5" channel iron that I welded 3/4"angle on the back to hold it in place and that worked real well for a trans jack.It's not heavy just awkward.If you have a dump bed it really helps.

4. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

Do you have to unhook the shift cable and hi-lo cable?

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Yes but that is easy at the trans.When I did mine I was able to leave the drive shafts in the gear box to keep the fluid from leaking out.Just un- bolt at the diff.I failed to mention that I have a lift so I left the trans on the floor and lifted the truck up to work on the clutch.If you can use a lift it really makes life a lot easier.

6. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I finally have the trans out but I can't tell if the throw out bearing is the problem.

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Unless it's really trashed it's pretty hard to tell if it's bad,usually you have to diagnose it before you tear into it, I've seen them where they squeal like a stuck pig but seem fine when you look at them.If it was making noise it's bad .When I did mine I did the clutch,pressure plate,throw out brg. and pilot bearing,didn't figure on the pilot brg, but when I took the fly wheel off to have it cleaned up the pilot was bad.Better look it all over while you're in there,

Liberty4Ever likes this.