1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail riding in NYS with 2001 Suzuki Carry

Discussion in 'United States' started by Timberthorn007, Jun 12, 2020.

  1. Timberthorn007

    Timberthorn007 New Member

    Hey all,

    I Recently purchased a 2001 Suzuki carry. I purchased it primarily to use around my property but would also like to cut loose with the boys once in a while on some trails New York.
    Side by sides are not able to be registered in New York State if they are over 1000 pounds, But a lot of folks still ride them everywhere without too much of a hassle. I don’t know anyone in New York with a mini truck so I have no real reference as to what my limitations are compared to side-by-side’s if any. Should I just register it as agricultural and put an orange triangle in the back? Should I not worry about it and risk it like everyone else, Or would I be held to a higher standard by the law because this vehicle is considered a “truck”? How about insurance? Is anyone entering these for trail use? Thanks all.
    Keep on truckin’
  2. Limestone

    Limestone Well-Known Member

    There is a lot of info on this forum, about this, especially in NY! I'm sure if you use the search in the upper right hand corner, you will find all of your answers and more! In the meantime, someone might chime in! Good luck!
  3. Timberthorn007

    Timberthorn007 New Member

    Thanks Limestone. I looked for conversations related directly to " Trail riding in NYS " I see a lot of content about registering the vehicle for road use ( Which i am not interested in at this time ), but nothing for trail use.

    Also, I live about 4 miles from my father's property and would like to drive my mini there with fishing gear, firewood, etc. No state roads, 1 County road and 1 town road. I want to just ride the shoulder. Should I register as agricultural and grab a orange triangle? should I just ride it as is? Should I keep my ass home on my own property and be content ha, ha?!

    Looking for opinion's from other mini owners who don't like to isolate to their property in NYS but are not registered! In the mean time, I will keep searching for the forum. Thanks all !

    Keep On Truckin'
  4. Limestone

    Limestone Well-Known Member

    I don't want to give you the wrong info. From past readings, I do remember, others saying that, it did very, state to state! Living in Ohio, I take my mini in an enclosed trailer, 83 miles East to hunting property, in Northwest PA., and we own several acres at the end of a secluded rd. that is owned by the County. We are able to run our unit all around the back roads without any issues, but we've never had a problem, mainly because we're secluded, and isolated, out in the country, setting so to speak! We've never been stopped or confronted, just because, it's mainly locals, doing their own thing, behaving and minding their own business! I'm hoping, some of the guys from NY, can chime in, because there have been several on this topic from there, that could help! In the mean time, knowing the rules, and the law pertaining to each of our situations, is up to each of us to know! Some even suggested not trying to license it as a mini truck, due to the fact that most don't know or understand what the heck were talking about. With that in mind some suggested, getting around that, as listing it as an atv, or utv! A lot will depend on, your usage, and what your intentions are! For us here in Ohio, we are limited to roads 35 mph or less, needs to be insured, licensed, that means a lot of unnecessary stuff that I don't need to go through, as I removed my tail lights, that were mangled when I inherited my unit, along with other things, that I'm not prepared to put money into, just to satisfy the legality of the rd., as my unit is strictly an off rd. driver! A hunting vehicle, work truck, fun woods driver, slow and steady! I use it around the home acreage, for yard clean up, hauling, and dumping, of things. They can be very useful in that respect, as others have their needs, or wants! An orange, smv, triangle, is a good idea, riding along the berm! Just know where you stand, if you do get pulled over by Barney Fife! Good Luck!
  5. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    Just sell it for an older one that is 25 years or older and drive it down the street legally with plates and a title..

    The farm trucks around here just use triangles though, or Vermont title

Share This Page