1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing Capacity

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Kurt Elibox, May 11, 2020.

1. Kurt Elibox

Kurt Elibox New Member

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I own a 2006 Hijet Mini Truck, and I am thinking of buying one of those trailer to haul stuff around

I may be hauling anything from gravel, sand, dirt. Since you guys are exprets, do you think my truck can pull this type of load COMFORTABLY without causing damage. Also keep in mind that I live in the caribbean and not the USA, so there are some hills around the place that I will have to travel along.

Please let me know your expert advise guys. Than k you very much in advance.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

First Question: Is yours a JDM version with the 660-cc engine, or do you have one of the off island models, with the larger engine?

Second Question: Do you have a Hi/Lo range transfer case?

The JDM version would be hard pressed to move the trailer your showing. The oof island versions with the bigger engines would still be hard pressed to move that beast around. It was designed for at least a “compact” truck.

I bought one of these to haul behind my Hijet. It was designed for use behind a UTV/ATV. The tandem axle helps lessen the load on the back of the mini truck, and it has electric brakes, so that it doesn’t push you around when you try to stop.
    https://bosskibuilt.com/products/1600-ut-trailer?ref=yotpo_93

They make a larger version, the 2000. It is a bit wider, but I didn’t see any need for that much payload, and I wasn’t sure how well the little truck would handle the extra weight. Even with the version I bought it sometimes tries to push the truck if I’m not careful about when I brake, and how fast I go into corners.

Limestone likes this.
  3. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree that I think pulling that size of a trailer, especially with the sorts of material you mention, is going to be a stretch. Sure, it might pull it but getting it to stop may be another story. The cargo box is rated for 350kg if I recall. I have definitely exceeded that in the box hauling firewood but even then I'm not trying to get up to highway speeds much less stop from high speeds. Just a non-scientific feeling is that you would probably be fine pulling a smaller utility trailer (4'x4'?) if you were hauling lighter materials like mulch or bark. Again, this is all based on the standard JDM 660cc model. Best of luck finding your solution and welcome to the forum!

Limestone likes this.
  4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Nope. Those dump trailers are heavy EMPTY. Add in some weight and a hill and the trailer is going to push the truck down, jacknife and throw the truck like a matchbox toy onto it's side or roll it over completly.. 12" tires don't have the contact patch to be able to slow down more than the 770 lbs they are rated for

The truck weigh's 1,500 lbs and the trailers GVW is 5,000 lbs... Truck is just under rated

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Point of note: The 350-kg rating for the load capacity is driven by the legal road weight limit for a Kei class vehicle. Nearly all of the Kei trucks can carry heavier loads, at reduced speeds. In Japan, many of them get used as farm vehicles, and on construction sites, where they aren’t subject to the highway load limits. And, they survive just fine, with fairly heavy loads.

I have the feature sheet for the left hand drive, Hijet S83LP versions imported into the US as onsite vehicles, the feature sheet stated the load rating was 700-lbs, but it could hand loads of up to 1500-lbs at speeds of less than ten miles per hour.

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Right, because they don't have the braking capacity for anything heavier at speed

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have hauled some big loads with my hijet. I have loaded it up with firewood stacked as high as the roof the full size of the box so 3/4 cord of hardwood. Also used mine to build a driveway in the woods. And have loaded it up to the point the box will not tip with rock and clay. The little trucks will carry a load. But like suggested I would not want to be pushed around by a loaded trailer at speed. I got a dump version specifically to work in the woods building trails.

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

That’s why I bought the Bosski trailer I gave the link to. It is designed for light vehicles, (ATVs and UTVs). The double axles help keep the tongue load down, and the electric brakes help keep the trailer from pushing the back of the truck around.

I still need to add a push button switch, so I can tap the brakes on the trailer, without braking the truck.