1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topper For rear bed area

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by masspilot2004, Sep 19, 2010.

1. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Hey there everyone I am kinda new to the whole Mini truck scene but am getting hooked real fast. I am the proud owner of a 1994 suzuki carry. I am on the process of making this my wekend excursion vehicle and have gotten alot of inspiration from everyone. However the one thing I noticed is that there is alot of after market parts out there but no place that makes a cloth style topper for the rear of these vehicles and the few places I called were way over priced for what they are. I did goto a few marine shops that make boat covers and they also were to expensive. So I took it upon myself to invest in some sewing equipment and with the help of a friend of mine made my own cover. I am now going to offer to anyone that is interested I will be willing to make them a cloth topper for their truck. The person that is helping me has been in the auto trim business for over 20 yrs. I will try to attach some pics here of the one just made for my truck. It was made of TOPGUN marine boat material so it is very durable this topper is great for the weekend excursion and keeping your stuff dry. Well tell me what you all think and hopefully I can help you all out. talk to you soon

Steve

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. erixun

erixun Member

YES! Ooooohhh Pictures please.... I was thinking of doing this in the future, what did you make your "bows" out of?

I was thinking of 1" square tubing mounted inside the bed, just a little bit taller than my lights. I also wanted to have the sides able to roll up and be tied, like a safari top for jeeps. Basically a like a military 2 1/2 ton transport truck. And I was going to use a heavy duty military tarp (olive drab to match my truck :D). I just found out my father in law has one of those older military heavy duty sewing machine and was going to use that. Maybe I will have you make one or maybe get your pattern measurements?

But get some pics!!! :pop:

3. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

thats exactly what I made

Hey Erin that is exactly what I made the side roll up and make a safari top and the back and I was inspired by the look of a military truck too. It is not easy to make if you have no expirience with sewing this type of material or and expierience with making tops it may be a costly experiment. I used pvc 2 " tubing for my frame and made brackets if you have any questions pls feel free to send me an email with a contact number I can tell you all about it

Steve

4. striper sniper

striper sniper New Member

topper

pics im interested been looking for one too.:pop:

5. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Pics

I am hoping to have the pics posted tonight I have a friend coming over to help me I am having some comp isssues they will be on tonight I promise.

Steve

6. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

7. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

8. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

9. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

10. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

11. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

12. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

well there you all go I hope you all like I am still on the process of building my truck and making it the ultimate weekend warrior. I am in the process of making the rear bumper and the on board air system and generator.

13. striper sniper

striper sniper New Member

topper

i like pm me with price i like your front bumper better thou:D

14. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

thanks I like it too it was off my samurai and I had to do some fab work to it but I got it to attach to all the structual area's you can lift the truck off the ground from it and no problems towing with it either

15. bob2068

bob2068 New Member

topper

That looks great I would be very interested in one for my Daihatsu hijet

16. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

If your bed is the same dimensions as a suzuki carry then I can make it for you pls feel free to email me a number and I will contact you about the details

17. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Well done Steve,

Do you think you could do one for a 10 foot box?

I could put snaps on the wood sides, but the power tailgate sits higher than the sides when closed so I'm not sure how that will work.

I think I would need an aluminum frame, the wind may get to much for plastic pvc pipe when it's this big, do you think?

What sort of price for mine?

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  18. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Very nice ...looks great:)

19. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

Thanks it is so practical I dont know why any one else has not made these we have actually got the pattern pattened this past week and may start mass prducing them for other vehicles and we are going to send trhe fram out to have an engineering company design one out of aluminum

20. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

for bigger trucks

Steve I will need yyour dimensions and I can make one to fit that pls let me know shoot me an email with your contact info

21. erixun

erixun Member

Coooooool!:cool: that's almost exactly what I had envisioned! Have you been in my head?:sly: Did you see anything else while you were in there?!?!?:eek:

I will have to PM/email you and get more details/prices etc.... Thanks for the post!

22. tob

tob Member

Topper

Very nice and very clever. Great pics..:D:D

23. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

Here's my dimmensions Steve

I can't send pics to you pm'ed so I need your E-mail address.

Attached Files:

• tarp.jpg
      tarp.jpg
      File size:
      211.8 KB
      Views:
  24. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

very nice! prob makes it a bit aerodynamic on the high way?

25. o8k

o8k Member

Great initiative! Way to go! I would personally rather have a metal frame, but that is easily accomplished. PM sent.

26. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

I took it down the road today for a wind test and it did just fine at about 55mph the frame is not made to support any weight it will hold snow off but it wont hold like racks or anything. I can have ones made for the bigger trucks and for the newer truck beds as well this is gonna be a custome type fabrication. So of course the cost will vary and as for the screening and tent Idea we already took that into consideration and I have my second top being made as we speak with that idea incorporated. I would like to throw this out there to everyone we are trying to come up with a name for these tops I have a temp name of KEI COVERS but am looking for a catchy name so any help is appreciated. We are going to design one that you will be able to incorporate a hard fram to mount a safari rack also.

27. bekkers

bekkers Member

looks good

Looks good. What size are your tires and rims? Do you have alift kit? Also is that a bench seat in it?

28. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

I have a 3 inch lift I have 23 in tires and there is no bench I just bought the new springs for an aditional 1 3/4 of lift and I am having some new rear shackles being made at a machine shop so I can put 25x8 tires on it you probably saw the begining of my on board air system.

29. bekkers

bekkers Member

where do you live

Do you want to sell those rims and tires if so where do you live?

30. masspilot2004

masspilot2004 Member

if i sell them i am selling them for only about 50.00 less what i paid they have only exactly 15 miles on them so if your interested email me