1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool Box

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jtpc, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey Guys,

Just had this installed today for hauling around groceries and lightweight items we pick up on errands.

It's been bedliner-sprayed black with the same spray bedliner as the truck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. mikek

mikek New Member

Looks good. I've been looking for a box like that. Where did you purchase?
    thanks

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Brand name of box?

4. jtpc

jtpc Member

It is a Dee Zee, Inc. tool box.
    The dealer bought it for me and fixed it up, so I'm not sure where they ordered it from.
    But that is the brand, and I'm sure if you can't find it locally, you can order one.
    http://www.deezee.com/
    There's the site.

5. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

Nice cammo job...Looks good!

6. BudMan

BudMan New Member

I have the same box, and it is great. You can get them from Tractors Supply.
    I think it is the Dee Zee box, they just put the TS label on it. They are about 18" tall/18" deep/ 49" wide, so it fits in the bed nice.

7. BudMan

BudMan New Member

Go to East Texas Minitruck site, on the sponsors page, Click pictures, and scroll down to the green truck with the dog in the back. He has the Tractors Supply box shown. That is where I got the idea. I think I paid 200.00 for it. They were out of stock, but it only took them 2 days to get one brought in.

8. Dan

Dan Member

I've seen them at napa, autozone and pepboys too. I have used those and duratrunk a few times. the duratrunk is poly but, my favorite is "McWelco" boxes. They have a box with top and side hatches that is nice. All compartments are separate. We set up a few trucks with these down both sides and once with a narrow one across the back of the cab. Worked well for us.

http://www.mcwelco.com/highsides.htm

9. jtpc

jtpc Member

My toolbox has been a little weird in that one of the latch bolt/pins wouldn't latch and was hitting the actual box instead of engaging the latches.
    I did all the adjustments possible and it still wouldn't clear it.
    So I took that piece apart and removed the washers and that gave me just enough room.
    So now it closes perfectly and nice and sealed.

So for those who purchase a box like this, you'll probably need to adjust the pin/bolt things (for some reason, mine closes best when they are at different levels of height).

And if anyone runs into the same problem with it hitting the box, removing the washers worked for me.

10. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

This setup looks to take care of the dilemma about where to place a primary or secondary battery. One could use any battery/holder setup and still have room in the box for extras.

11. jtpc

jtpc Member

Very true. And these boxes seem to be the perfect size/proportion for the little trucks' beds.

12. BudMan

BudMan New Member

Shrimpdaddy, you are right about the battery. I took my box, and ran a separate fuse box, and circuit directly from the battery into the tool box. Now all my extra electronics, such as spotlight, winch, fog lights etc. have their own circuit, and the fuses are much easier to get to instead of crawling under the dash. I mounted the fuse panel inside a plastic "project" box from radio shack, so that things rattling around in the tool box, don't hit or damage the fuses. I also mounted an on board battery charger, to the frame just under the tool box. Now I just plug an extension cord into the charger when it is parked for an extended time, and never have to worry about my battery.

13. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

DeeZee mfg. started in (and still there) Ankeny Iowa (sub. of Des Moines) They've been in business for many years.

14. gregw98

gregw98 Member

15. Rickster

Rickster Member

I got a box last Friday (Black Friday) at Tractor Supply. It is a Delta the same size as the DeeZee but only 48" long instead of 49". Lockable dual latches and diamond plate aluminum. The best part, they had it for $199. I jumped on that and then found out I got another 20% off at the register! $159 final price for a Delta box! Next thing to do is coat it with black bedliner material. Can't afford spray-in but leaning toward Herculiner roll-on. Any suggestions regarding that?

16. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Rickster, I'm jealous - that was a steal of a price.
    I'm on the prowl for a Delta box and it's looking like $300.00 CAD for that box
    up here in Canuk land.

17. jtpc

jtpc Member

Good deal! I'm sure it'll work out for ya.
    Not sure how difficult the roll-on will be to apply due to the diamond plating pattern. ??
    Let us know how it all goes.

18. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

stay away from the herculiner.

19. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

My box was originally $229, it was on sale for $199 and i got it for $159 by flirting with chubby girl running the register :D amazing what you can acomplish with a few kind words to a shy girl... it was just too bad the damn thing didn't fit with my smoke stack... had to return the box but not the compliments :D

20. Rickster

Rickster Member

Hey B Eastep, why do I need to stay away from Herculiner? I have no experience with any of the roll-on or spray-in. I did see about 3 gallons of black Line X-treme on E-Bay with a crappy looking gun for about $150. That would surely coat my bed and box and maybe even my friend's bed. Any thoughts on Line X-treme?

21. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

haven't had much luck woth DIY bed liners, prep work is the key but I still would rather have it professionally done. I have a 2005 jeep I'm going to have the inside done, i'd rather pay for the warranty than get a discount on disappointment... and don't call me shirly!

22. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

thin, hard, wont stick for crap. we coated a bunch of 4x4 bodies with that stuff and its the cheap but crappy way out.

23. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

I used that Line X-treme E-bay stuff. Way better than Hurculiner. Can make it as thick or thin as you like by the amount of ground rubber you put in it. Prep, Prep, Prep....Use 80 grit or better to scatch it up. It will not go as far as you think. There is allot of surface area on a tool box.

24. jtpc

jtpc Member

I paid some $500+ for a Line-X liner installed by dealer and it has torn several times and the dealer won't admit they did something wrong.
    So Line-X is just as cheap as the off brands, so just go with one of the truck accessory guys that sells some no-name spray in and let them do it for ya.
    It's just a tool box, so maybe won't cost too much.
    $150 is too steep for the do-it-yourself.
    I had my box sprayed professionally for $100.

25. Rickster

Rickster Member

Maxout,

Did you use that low-end undercoating gun with line X-treme or did you upgrade to the better gun? My hopes are to have enough product with the 3.5 gallons to do th inside of my zuki bed and that delta box. Do you think that kit would cover it?

26. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

Yes, it wil cover it. The gun that comes with the kit is fine but I do have a better gun. Not That Important with this stuff. I sprayed at 80psi with no problems. Just like painting cut it in first then lightly cover the entire area then apply second coat. The kit comes with two spray cans and you will only get two chances to spray unless you get extra cans or clean them after each use. Be prpared to spray everything in a single session will work best. If it is cold it will take a long time to set. If over 70 degrees it will set up quickly. Be careful not to build it up too much in the tight clearance areas. Remove tape after you are done spraying and cleaning the gun. Do not wait to remove the tape after it sets or you wil have a hard time cutting it out. If that tool box has a smooth finish you are going to really scratch it up teo get it to adhear well. DO NOT SKIMP ON PREP....Or you will get skimpy results. Sand, clean with solivent and whipe dry.

27. Rickster

Rickster Member

Thanks for the detail. I think that is what I will do. I am thinking about a big "fine" wire wheel on my angle grinder to clean/rough everything up. After hearing about the temp, I think I will wait till spring to do it because I am going to shoot it outside. Right now if I catch a nice sunny day, it will probably be windy. Would 50 degrees work or would that be too cold?

28. hayseed

hayseed New Member

Agree with everybody else about the importance of prep. Not just getting the surface scuffed up well, but go over it with a good degreaser as a final step. Another product that I've had good luck with to promote adhesion is sold as "Bulldog". Should be able to get it at any auto body parts supplier. You can get paint to stick well to chrome, plastic, polished aluminum - most anything. Comes in a fizz can.

I applied Herculiner in 2004 to a 8' pickup box. Used a roller. It was not a fun job, and as stated before, you just can't get it on real thick. Actually though, it's held up fairly well. I just put on one coat, as heavy as I could get it to lay smooth, used a little less than a gallon. If you could run it through a gun, or even put on a second coat to use about twice that much, it would be good.

Last year, had another truck box done professionally with Linex. It does seem more durable and looks nicer. Herculiner leaves a real gnarly finish, where the Linex is pretty smooth. Linex will clean up nicer and easier as well.

Linex was $500. Herculiner about $100.

29. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

Just to clarify the Liner Xtreme is no comparison to Hurculiner. I have used both and the Liner Xtreme is comparable to Rhino or LineX (I have these too). Similar compounds and professional grade. You can spray this stuff as thick or thin as you like. You can add as much rubber or as little as you like. You can get larger particle rubber to make a super rough surface for the bed. This is a 3 part super strong and flexible product not to be compared to Hurculiner. This is truly a professional grade product in a kit for the average "Joe".

Rickster- I would wait for warmer weather. Or get it inside. 50 degrees is boarder line.