1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To undercoat, or to not undercoat?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Oct 1, 2009.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

So I live in SD where they love to use outrageous amounts of road salt in the winter time. Would it be wise to undercoat my truck, or just leave it to the elements and fix the rust as it pops up? I've heard that undercoating can encapsulate rust and actually make it grow worse because you don't see it until it breaks the surface of the undercoating.

Thanks

2. Undercoat it, Ohio uses crazy amounts of salt as well and we undercoat a hundred vehicles a year excluding mini trucks at our shop. Even if you have some rust starting, usually the undercoat will put a stop to it or reallllly slow it up as the rust can't really continue with water and or oxygen.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

4. zardoz

zardoz Member

Getting mine fluid filmed next week by a pro... gonna cost a bit more... but this fella doesn't miss a damn thing. I don't have to get messed up... and he will put all the new plugs in etc that are needed. Normally I do ALL my own work... but I've watched this guy work and am confident he can/will do a better job than me with his "for the job" gear ;)

z

5. if anyone does decide to go with undercoating try to go with baremetal undercoating. this stuff can topcoat about anything due to its etching properties. also try to stay away from undercoatings that stay sticky. they are more prone to collect unwanted stuff. if u already have any rust, do the obvious and treat it first before u cover it up. we use SEM and 3m. both good stuff, and theres plenty of others out there.

6. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

:DI had mine done 2 weeks ago after I built the bumpers and the plow mount and Paint job

Attached Files:

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nice truck paint looks great...again I have garage envy:p