1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titling

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by danish, Jun 4, 2008.

1. danish

danish Member

I just purchased a 1991 Suzuki Carry. It runs great and I think it's best thing since sliced bread. I am trying to figure out how to title it so I can get an ATV sticker to ride trails. In IL you can't title as an ATV it if it's over 50" and over 900lbs. There is a grey market title but I do not have any of the import documents. So here are my questions:
    Are import documents specific to each imported vehicle with a VIN or can I get new documents??
    Would a grey market title keep me from getting an ATV sticker since it's not an ATV title??
    Thank you in advance for any help....

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i'm not familiar with your state's laws, but i've had one heck of a time with mine... seach for my thread motor vehicle nightmares.

i'm stuck in a state that won't register it as a truck or an atv and has no category besides "can't do it" for grey market. best of luck is all i can tell you.

but one thing i can say about arizona, is they are working with me to buy a bond for a title since all i gave them was a notarized bill of sale.

3. danish

danish Member

I've searched all the different threads and didn't see anything that I could relate too. Does anybody know if I can get new import documents or am I screwed?? From what I've read UTV's can't be titled as ATV's in some states so how are they titled??

4. Mighty Milt

when i presented the import doc's it seemed to muddy the waters, i chose instead to stick to my guns and just show the notarized bill of sale from the seller. that allows me to "bond" the title. they run a national search to see if anyone has any interest or leins on it, when it comes back free and clear they issue you a title after you purchase an insurance bond. i don't really know what the bond is for but i have done it in the past on basket case harleys i have purchased.

they assess the value of the vehicle (i paid $4k) they post the bond value at 150% ($6k) then you purchase a bond at .01% value ($60) but there is a minimum value to purchasing a bond here in arizona of $100 dollars. that and a dozen trips to the motor vehicles department wins you rights to pay road tax and drive the hell out of it!! :)

5. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

All right Milt.. your making progress.. :)

6. danish

danish Member

Where do you go to get a bonded title?? I searched on Google but couldn't find a straight answer. Some say county treasurer, others a bonding agency...Thanks for the info...

7. Mighty Milt

the mvd has to assess the value of it first... you gotta start with them or you have nothing.

8. danish

danish Member

I called my insurance agent today and he could get me all set-up with a bond. I then talked to the local licensing service and they said all I need for a proof of worth is a letter from a dealer saying what it's worth or something similar along with bill of sale, compliance inspection, and money. Seems it should be a fairly straight forward process, fingers crossed. Thanks for all the info....

9. Mighty Milt

the compliance inspection is where i'm getting stuck, as soon as they see the right hand drive, the freak out and call it grey market vehicle and want a federal inspection to it. i don't have one. i found a guy here to do it, but he gets $2500 to get it through and it takes 6-8 weeks for him to do it.