1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titling info

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by npisteve, Dec 26, 2013.

1. npisteve

npisteve New Member

Hello and thanks for the resource of this forum. I am trying to purchase a 1990 mini truck from a guy in a neighboring state. My state does title and license these vehicles for on-road use. The trouble I'm having is the seller does not have any paperwork on the truck. He says he purchased it from a buddy that owned the truck for several years. My county DMV says it needs a title.
    My question is: do you guys buy or sell older trucks that don't have any paperwork? Am I asking for problems down the road when I try to sell?
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I currently have 2 mini trucks and one of them is licensed and titled and the other not.I have no idea how the licensed and titled truck got that way because typically in California where I live they are not street legal.In most cases they are sold with a bill of sale but there are exceptions in a few states and Canada.I gave a truck to my son in Colo.and to get an off road permit he needed a bill of sale and had to have it inspected to verify id.I guess every locale is different.

3. npisteve

npisteve New Member

Thanks Jim. After further discussion with my state DMV, it seems these vehicles have to be titled in Nebraska (whether you are going to drive them on-road or not). Its a way of getting a database in case its ever stolen. Its a class 3 misdemeanor to sell these vehicles without a title. I believe there are a lot of these older vehicles without titles yet.