1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titles on Kei Trucks

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by CtrlZ, May 17, 2021.

1. CtrlZ

CtrlZ New Member

This is a really dumb question, but when you buy an imported kei truck, is there supposed to be a title transfer like a normal truck?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Kind of. You get the export paperwork, which lists the chassis number, and details. But, not what folks in North America call a title. Depending on how friendly your state is to mini trucks, they may or may not title it, based on the export/import paperwork.

3. CtrlZ

CtrlZ New Member

Ah, thanks for the reply, Jigs. Yeah, wondering what the implications would be for re-selling it. I'm in WA and they definitely license them for the road, and Ive had it registered for a year, but I am getting ready to re-sell itm and come to realize U never received a title. So either... I've gotta go back to the dealer I got it from, or something.... not sure.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

idaho doesn’t give you titles on mini trucks, because they have a statute left over from the late eighties when they were being imported as off highway landscape and factory trucks, and were governed to less than 25-mph. So, you can’t license any Japanese mini truck in Idaho, even though the ones we are importing now, are designed to be used on the roadway.

But kind of humorously, you can license the van versions. Because they are not mini trucks as defined in the statute banning mini trucks.

Kevin Y likes this.
  5. Terry H

Terry H Member

Wow, nuts how states can be, I just bought a mini in Virginia, but their office out of Tennessee got the title for me so it has a Tennessee title, but I live in Ohio so I’ll be seeing how I do this next part??! I’ll update for others with questions

Kevin Y likes this.