1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires?

Discussion in 'References' started by tmikewww, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Just checking to make sure. Will a 155X80Rx12 fit our Subaru Sambar on stock rims?:confused:

Thanks,

tmikewww

2. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

3. Colin

Colin Member

My stock tires were 145-12. 155s should work OK.

4. glenn

glenn Member

my take, 145x80Rx12 translation from a tire guy..... 145 is width, 80R is height, R is radial, 12 is rim size.....145, 155, 165 will all fit (just a little wider profile on the last), 80R is ok and 70R is just a little shorter, 12" rims are the norm for original trucks, you can upgrade to 13" or even (14" with low profile tires) no problem, make sure bolt pattern is the same.
    I got some tires for the back of slumpy from tire rack out of reno, yokohama 165x70Rx12 to replace the 145's(still have the 145's on the front). seems to have a bit better traction in the snow and slippery roads, I don't think it will work as well off roading as some of the tires made for off roading but it is better on the road than the 145's.
    I saw the vidio for the redneck way of mounting narrow tires on wide rims with a can of ether and a match....COOL MAN!

glenn

5. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

OK, so the tires that are "in transit" are "goin" to fit. Right? The tires that are on it now are, 23X8X12, and I don't think you could get much more than a piece of paper between the tire and frame.

Tom

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  6. glenn

glenn Member

ya, the tires will fit.....you confuse me with the inches (we use metric up here)... besides it sounds more impressive when you're bragging in metric rather than inches!!
    Ya know what the difference is between an American and Canadian?
    Americans say "eh, how ya doing?" Canadian sez "how ya doing eh?" LOL

glenn

7. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

OK, so how does a 23x8x12 compare to a 155x80Rx12? I mean, how wide is a 23 compared to a 155????

8. speedy67

speedy67 Member

23 is an indication of the overall height (23") , and 8 is the width (8") It's best to mount them on a 7" wide wheel, but with the proper off-sets. (5 + 2)

A 155/80R12 tire has a section width of 155mm (6.1") and a height 80% of theat (124mm or 4.88") 12 is the wheel diameter in both cases.

You'll love these tires, smaller, so better gearing - you'll wonder where all the power came from, Adding to this will be the lesser rolling resistance with the street tire, that'll add to the feeling of power also, the ride won't feel like you're rolling on marshmallows.

145 series tires are generally the stock size. I have a Suzuki with 155's on them and another with 145's and I really can't feel any difference between the two. I also have a Mitsubishi that is camoed and has a 2" lift and 23" Carlisle All-Trails on it, and there is a huge difference in the power to the ground. Lost about 15 mph in top speed.

9. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Speedy,
    Thank you very much! You eased my doubt and uncertainty. You should be a "pitchman" for a tire manufacture. With the knowledge and enthusiasm that you exhibit!!
    Again,
    Thank you!!!
    Tom

10. speedy67

speedy67 Member

TMIKEWWW: (If that IS your real name) :D

Just glad to help out, glenn gave the answer too, but I related it to my real-world experiences, I guess I was more convincing. (I can't believe he bought it!! :rolleyes:) J/K!!

What brand and model of tires did you buy? It would be great if someone offered a true 'MUDDER' style street/highway rated tire in a size that fits these little guys, even if it was in 13"

Interco offers their Super Swampers in a 28" tall & 14" rim size, but that would need a hell of a lift.....one that incorporates a drivetrain drop so as to not over-tax the CV joints. Plus a tire that tall just kills the power in these trucks, a shorter tire (24 - 25" maybe) with the same aggressive tread would be great!!

11. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Speedy,
    The tires are, "Kumho Power Star 758. The ONLY place that I found with 12" tires for sale is at "www.tires-easy.com They are world wide. The site was in German and had to select English. These tires are coming out of Portland Or. They cost me $174.46 delivered ($31.60 per tire-$48.06 shipping).
    Oh yea, The "real name(s)"
    Tom and Tana Williams

12. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

the bad part last year Wal-mart had 12 inch tires for $18.00 . i run them on my trailers . they were 1/2 price and last 4 times as long.

13. glenn

glenn Member

Tom,
    Glad you got the answers you needed, hats off to speedy for explaining a bit better than me.
    larryn20, not all 12" tires are dot approved, some are only for trailers. We need to keep that in mind when we register the trucks for the road up here besides, cheap price? sometimes you get what you pay for, eh?
    glenn

14. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Tire dilemma

:DRemember the dilemma I was having about putting the 155X80RX12 tires on? Well guess what! Unnnbeeleavible!!!! I can't believe how GOOD these tires ride! QUITE! FAST! I' am completely in another world!! This little thing goes 85klm per hr with out completely getting on it!(I know,What's a 60 year old geezer doing going 80+?) Thank you everybody who helped me with these tires and the decision!!!:cool:

Thanks again,

Tom

PS. They're Kunho PowerStar 758. $174.60 delivered:D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  15. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

tires

i guess i wasn't clear on the tires. i run 12 inch radial car tires on my trailers. a cheap trailer tire that last 1 year cost $35 . i put the $18 car tires on my trailers and have yet to wear them out. one set is 6 years old . i'd never run them on a heavy trailer , my biggest one is 4 X 8 and fully loaded is about 1500 lbs. (5 Spacewalks & fans) . i pull them with a Geo Metro so the spare fits the trailer.

16. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

It may not be possible to get an eight inch wide tire mounted on a seven inch wheel in a conventional garage using conventional mounting methods. Neither my nearby Wal-Mart nor Goodyear was able to mount my eight inch wide Rawhide Grip tires on my seven inch wide Motosport Alloys wheels. The sidewalls were stiff and considerably narrower than the wheel. I had to go to a truckstop garage that had a Cheetah to got the job done. And it took the mechanic two attempts with each of the two tires and cost $20. Now that they are mounted, they look fine and function well. These were ATV tires. With different tires of the same width, there might not be a problem. I believe it would be much easier to mount eight inch wide tires on five or six inch wheels. Just my opinion.

Samurai

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  17. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Thank you,thank you,thank you, larryn2o, Glenn, Speedy, Colin, everyone! Ok, one more question and I'll get on with my life.(maybe) How much are these tires going to "throw-off my speedometer?

18. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

19. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Larryn2o,
    Do you happen to know what the standard tire size is? I' am sure they'd be about the same per make, wouldn't they?

20. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Most of these bad boys roll out of the factory on 145R12, which techincally is a 145/82/R12 but it will make no difference for calculations if you use 145/80/R12. These should have a height of 21.134 inches. The other tire you will find is 155R12 which is slightly larger O.D. of 21.764 inches. I'm in the process of getting a Sambar SC and most of my use will be onroad so I'm thinking of going to 14 inch rims with 185/60/R14 tires which has a height of 22.74 inches.

21. Colin

Colin Member

I'm switching from my 175/65-14 tires back to the 145R12s when this snow melts - the truck is a dog with the heavy wheel/tire combo. Even though you've probably got the power to push it with the supercharged engine, I wouldn't recommend needlessly adding weight. Rotating, unsprung mass has a HUGE impact on the handling, acceleration, and braking of a vehicle.

I s'pose you could spring for some Gram Light wheels. :D

Colin

22. glenn

glenn Member

tmikewww,
    glad you have the tires you needed

larryn2o, tire are what they are, some good and some bad, I just need to check on three things for our vehicles...1) the battery is still bat'n 2) the tires are still tired and 3) that the pistons are still... well.. piss'n
    LOL glenn

23. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

ouch!

got to try to remember that one!

24. eeric

eeric Member

Do you guys think 185/70/13 rims and tires gonne fit on a sambar? is 12" or 13" good on gas?
    thanks!

25. eeric

eeric Member

did anyone try to put 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback 13" rim on the Sambar Van?
    it should fit right??? thanks a lot!

26. Eljordano

Eljordano New Member

mini truck tires

Hey I found a bunch of guys out here on the Island using a Hankook Ipike tire. It's rated as a winter radial (DOT approved for fellow Canadian minitruck owners) but it's got one hell of a tread to it... THey say it's been holding out really well as an all season even though it says winter on it. Only hitch is that you have to mount it on a 13".

Go to this link and click on Winter Ipike for full details!

http://www.hankooktire.ca/product/tire_wt.asp

27. tinamartina

tinamartina New Member

Hi everyone

Hi all

Hi guys, my names Tina and im completely new to this forum.

I hope that I'll learn and share a lot of interesting things.

Take care, Tina from Cash Advance website!

28. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey guys...has anyone seen or heard of an old type winter grip tire available i a 145 or 155? one the company's that used to sell this kind of tire was Kelly Springfield. i would go to an ATV tire but st my new place i have to drive about 60k's to the trails on the hwy-way, so i need a street winter tire. my truck has never been off road before but after buying this new place in BC and seeing all the trails...its going! :D
    any help would be great...thanks
    wyatt

29. Kitty

Kitty Member

[​IMG]
    That with 185/70/13.

Gangster fitment yo. ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  30. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Nice going there Kit! What kind of rims did you end up getting?