1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires/Wheels

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by texagswin97, Jun 5, 2007.

1. texagswin97

texagswin97 Guest

I have a 2000 suzuki and a 2002 mitsubishi. I am putting a 3" lift on both and thinking of putting 25" tires all the way around....
    Anyone have any recommendations on tires/wheels size? What are the pros and cons to putting bigger tires? Would it be a problem to put bigger tires on the back than the front? What is max size you can put on w/ out messing anything up??

2. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Tex,

There is a thread in the Suzuki forum concerning lift kits and problems associated.
    As far as tire diameters go, the larger the diameter the more wear and tear on the truck...especially the clutch. I do not think that 25" is too much, but I would not go larger. With a 3" kit, 25" tires may be tight depending on the offset of the wheels. Trimming of the bottom corners of the fenders may be required.
    Also, you never want to put different diameter tires on the front and back of a 4wd. The larger diameter tires will try to rotate slower because they have a greater circumference. This will cause binding in the transfer case when 4 wheel drive is engaged.
    Hope this helps and I'm sure you will get other replies with more knowledge and experience!

3. texagswin97

texagswin97 Guest

thanks

thanks james. I keep hearing a lot of mixed reviews about the 3" lift on the trucks. Sounds like certain kits are giving folks no problem while others aren't working so well. Little worried about lifting them.

4. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

see my long winded post in the Suzuki section about lift kits....it is just my opinion based on my research...results may vary!:p

5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

wish we could get more info....

What size tires are the best or most popular? What type of tread? How much lift is required? Do you have to trim the fenders? What is the offset on your wheels (if they are aftermarket)?

6. minimits96

minimits96 New Member

Wheels

Ok, I thought that I had seen plenty of pics online of trucks that are running stock wheels with 25x8x12 tires.I took mine to get mounted today and they said they would'nt fit. So what gives? Am I crazy, OK dont answer that. could someone please fill me in on what wheel size will work with these tires, and if there has to be a spacer on the wheel? Thanks.

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Just to clarify, did they say that they didn't think the tires (8" wide) wouldn't fit on the stock rims (which I'm guessing must be 4.5" wide or something) or were they telling you they though you would have rubbing once the tires were mounted on those rims?

8. minimits96

minimits96 New Member

They said they wouldnt fit the wheels.

9. EastTexasMiniTrucks

EastTexasMiniTrucks New Member

I say don't go cheap on your wheels and use the stock rims. Slap a set of ITP's on there. Or any decent looking aluminum, chrome, or black powder coated wheel. In my opinion the wheels make the truck. And when you average out the $200 to $300 cost over the 10 years you'll probably own and use the truck that comes out to what? 20 to 30 bucks a year.

We are a direct dealer of ITP tires and wheels. We do not make a profit on the wheels we sell on our trucks. We can hook anyone up. We set our customers up at cost. We figure a good looking truck out there with our name on it is like free advertising and brings us future sales and more happy customers.

Have fun, and keep on truckin!! ;)

10. minimits96

minimits96 New Member

Thank's Colin, But that does'nt answer my question, plus I like the look of the stock wheel, to me it looks more rugged, less fancy.

11. texagswin97

texagswin97 Guest

anyone know the largest ATV tire that will fit on the OEM wheels on a post 99 model truck? 2000 suzuki 2002 mitsubishi and my brother has a 2000 honda
    Thanks for the help!!

12. texagswin97

texagswin97 Guest

without lifting the truck? I should have said....

13. lotus4s

lotus4s New Member

Not a definitive answer but I have a 2001 Suzuki with 3" lift and 25" tires on 12" wheels and the fronts rub slightly at full bump.

14. Swampa

Swampa New Member

Has anyone put small truck mud grips on a mini?

15. Colin

Colin Member

I'm kinda looking around for some decent mud/snow type tires for my stock wheels. My Sambar is staying at stock height, but I'd like some knobbies for winter driving.

Colin

16. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Since 12" non-ATV tires are hard to find, one option would be to pick up some cheap 13" 4x100 rims at a junk yard (LOTS of Toyota, VW, etc had that size) and find a 175/70/13 tire for it LIKE THESE. I know Subies often have different offsets so not sure about that but the overall diameter on this size tire is about 22.8" I was even looking at my 195/55/15 snowies for my VW Golf thinking they might work. :) Just a thought.

17. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

wheels/tires/etc.

I have mounted 23 and 24x8x12 tires on stock rims many times. I would try a different shop. A lot of the time it takes a bit of work to get these 6 ply atv tires onto the stock rims. It may be that they would fit and just need a little more elbow grease.

18. Colin

Colin Member

My Sambar has a 4x98mm pattern, similar to an E21 BMW or a Fiat X1/9.

Colin

19. jbarv

jbarv New Member

Im thinking of putting 25x10x12s on my 93 Suzi with a 2 1/4 lift.... you think 10 will be too wide? Or should I just go with 8?

20. jbarv

jbarv New Member

Guess I should mention my wheels have the 5+2 offset....

21. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

You will have to cut a bunch of fender out. I never use that offset. It makes them stick out to far.

22. Rancher

Rancher New Member

Seems odd that no one seems to know what offset actually works?

23. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Fender Trim?

Anybody have a photo of a trimmed fender?

24. swampfox

swampfox Member

size

I have the Crossroads 2 1/8" lift on my '91 Sambar. I was using stock '97 Nissan Sentra 13" rims with 175/70R13 tires. Now I'm using my spare '04 Scion Xb 15" rims with 185/60R15 tires with no fender well cuts and no rubbing except a very slight amount when at full lock to lock steering. The Nissan rims (4x100) and their centerbores fit perfectly on the Sambar. The Scion rims (4x100) fit perfectly except for the centerbore which had to be machined out to fit the Sambar's hub.

25. swampfox

swampfox Member

Scion wheels

By the way, the stock 15" Scion wheels I use on my Sambar have a +38 offset. I'm not sure about the Sentra 13" wheels I used earlier. Both wheel combinations work great and vastly improve the ride, handling, and traction (off road). The 15" tires on my Sambar are the original Scion Xb 185/60R15 Goodyear Eagle LS's with about 25,000 miles on the tread. My next move will be to go with the Winterforce tires with a much better tread pattern for off and on road (the Sambar is used on the streets of Ms. but not interstates). I bought it about 2 years ago, and it was not fitted with a governor by the importer. It'll do about 70 or so, but I generally just hover around the speed limit.

26. pepci

pepci Member

I have 25" All trails on my 91 suzuki and have had to trim the front of the fenders a bit to stop the rub. I am going to go to a 13 in snow grip for all around tire so it will ride and handle better. Heck I have been in some bad areas with the street tires that come on them from Japan so don't feel the need to go to extreme. The truck has a 3" lift in it as well. pepci