1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires & Rims 13"

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by vtg, Jun 5, 2017.

1. vtg

vtg Member

I am currently working on getting my 1992 Acty running again and nearly have it back together after rebuilding the engine. When I last used the truck (2 yrs ago), my tires were pretty much ready for the garbage and assuming my engine is going to run ok, I really wouldn't trust those old tires for anything more than a short test run.
    I know it's tough as heck to find new 12" DOT highway use tires around here so I was thinking about possibly going to 13" rims and tires. I went to some yard sales on the weekend and happened upon a pair of 13" rims with brand new winter tires on them and brought them both home for a measly $15.00. The tires are size P155/80R13 whereas my originals are P145/80R12. The rims are the proper bolt pattern and it seems like the offset looks ok too so they should bolt right on.

I am concerned about a couple of things: 1) My little Honda which is a 5-speed without a low range may be geared a little to tall to work well with the increased tire diameter. 2) There might be some clearance issues on the front when turning or if the suspension bottoms out while turning.

So I thought I could do some testing without actually buying another 2 tires and rims. I just installed my engine and transmission and I haven't bolted up my front 4wd prop shaft yet. I thought that perhaps I could install the 13" wheels on the rear of the truck and my old 12" ones on the front and I should be able to test the truck's ability to power along with the 13" wheels by driving it without the prop shaft installed? That way, the difference in tire sizes shouldn't cause any binding? Am I correct in that assumption?

And if it seems like it can handle the 13" tires as far as the power is concerned, then I should be able to swap my pair of 13" tires to the front and put the 12" ones on the rear in order to test tire clearances on the front while driving?
    Does anyone know if there is an issue with test driving the truck without the prop shaft installed? I can't see why there should be any problems doing that but it's always good to seek out opinions. Thanks!

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

There are lots of 4WD vehicles running around with only the rear shaft in place. Sould be no problem at all.

Fred

3. Tuskano

Tuskano Member

I have been running 13inch RX7 Toyo Kogyo alloys with no issues along with P155/65R-13 Carmac NT65 tires I found on simpletire.com. That has been my usual go to place for small tires. They have a small stretch on them and my speedo is a few kph off, but had no power loss.

Never seen a whole lot of trucks with different tire sizes, but good luck in your tests.

4. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

No problem with those 13" tires!
    I have gone as tall as 26" on my Cary ( 660 5 sp)

5. ttc

ttc Active Member

I have rx7 13 inch rims and 165 cant remember the ratio. Wheels where a bit more weight then stock steel with 145

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I just put 185 65 14" on my stock Cary no problem!

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

The hijet I did notice spinning the heavier rim/tire in 4th and 5th but the tire is 7 or 8 percent taller then stalk also.

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

But the truck definately feels more planted. Would love to get some steel 13 inch rims

9. vtg

vtg Member

I guess it'll be awhile before I get the tire thing figured out. I got the engine back in and am having a really tough time getting the air out of the cooling system. I can't get any heat from the heater fan yet the temp gauge is running plenty high enough. Also seeing some white smoke from the exhaust which really concerns me. Defective head gasket? Honestly, I dreaded putting parts into the engine that were not OEM Honda components but that seems to be all my supplier could come up with. I might end up just shopping for a replacement engine because I'm getting tired of working on this one.

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have 12" and 13" and even 14" rims!

11. MiniMike

MiniMike New Member

I have a 1999 Suzuki Carry and it has 12x8x23" off road ATV tires on STI rims. I want to go to a road tire. The tire and rim are very close to the strut. What is the tire and rim from that you used to get the off-set to clear the strut? My bolt pattern is 4-100. Thanks. MiniMike

12. matt167

matt167 Active Member

With a 12" tire. factory was 145R12 or 145/80R12 same thing basically. 13" you could do 165/65/13 keep the diamater around 21-23" and you will be ok.

13. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

GEO Metro I have a few sets!