1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires and Rims....help?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by mjseiler, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

I am a new owner of 1997 Suzuki Carry. I have a 4 X 100mm bolt pattern with 12mm X 1.25 lug size. I am a hunter and horse farmer! I want to use my truck for on and off road use (black top and gravel). I am torn in my tire and rim decision between the Carlisle 489 or the Carlisle All Trail? I am interested in any and all opinions especaily if you own either! Thanks...Mike

2. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

I have 489's and they will go anywhere, I have heard that to run even 23" all trails you have to lift your truck because that don't have a rounded shoulder. I was also informed that if you drive in gravel the alltrails will sling rocks and break your mirrors.:)

3. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

Caleb, Thanks for the reply! Do you have a lift? What rim's do you have? How does it drive, feel and turn on black top? What about high speed feel?

4. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

I have a 3" lift, only had it for about three days. I used the x-roadsimports.com lift. Everything seems to be working great on and off road.
    Right now I have stock rims and 23" 489's so everything is about the same.
    The truck feels like it catches just a little more wind. I am wanting to move up to bigger tires and wheels. Only problem is I have heard that 25" tires are too big and suck up all of your power making 5th gear useless.:)

5. swampfox

swampfox Member

tires, lift

I have the Crossroads 2 1/8" lift on my Subaru Sambar. First I changed from the 12" stock wheels/tires to 1997 Nissan Sentra 13x5" (4x100 bolt pattern) rims and their stock 175/70R13 tires. It rode much better. Then, I switched to my spare set of 2004 Scion Xb steel rims (15x6", 4x100, 54.1 center bore). I had the center bore machined out to about 59.1 to fit the Sambar. I'm using the stock Goodyear Scion tires (185/60R15). Now, I can ride the roads of Mississippi as well as tackle most trail stuff without bottoming out. It rides much better than the 13's on the highway. Some folks are using the Winterforce tires for off road, as well as on the road. I believe that would be an ideal combination, since you would not be driving these winter tires at breakneck speeds and using them on a relatively light vehicle.

6. mstrick

mstrick New Member

the carlise act tire is a 6 ply tire the 489s are only a 4 ply and the act is more aggresive than the 489 im running the act 23-10-12 and love them

7. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member

Mike, I have a 94 with no lift and run the stock rims with the 23-8-12 all trails mounted on them. I use my Mini for farm use traveling down gravel roads and blacktop to feed horses at different pastures. I haven't had any problems with stones being tossed up. Also, I've carried 20 bags of feed on the bed without the tires bulging too bad. Check out TSC, they have alot of ATC tires on sale right now, got mine for $42 each. Matt

8. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

We have mounted Carlisle All Trails on a number of trucks, Suzuki Carry, Daihatsu Hi-jet and Subaru Sambar all with stock rims and no lift, They are a little noisey on pavement. No trouble loading weight on them and great traction. At www.minitruck.ca we offer 13" Alloy rims and we usually mount 13" Ice and Snaow Radials. They are very quite and good traction as well.

9. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

do you have any 4x110 13 inch wheels?

10. nick

nick Member

I've put the Carlisle ACT's on several trucks. Very satisfied. The All Trails give a little more flotation and a "marshmallow like" ride but tear up the yard less. I go in the woods a lot and the All Trails just don't clean out well and then when you come out of the woods and speed up they clean out great, all over your truck:) ACT's don't float quite as well but definitely have more traction on more marginal ground and steep slopes.
    Just my two cents, heading out to tap 4500 maple trees here in WI
    Supposed to get to the 40's this week!
    Nick

11. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

Yes we have the wheels. Please go to our site www.minitruck.ca and go to contact to get info.
    Thank You

12. flefitz

flefitz New Member

Hey I have a 94 dd251 Suzuki and wanted to do more road driving than off road so I found a set of Mazda car 13" and I use regular tires.jumping up to 13 '' gives me the road speed I need to stay out of the way of big Ford and Chevies. my engine runs at a rpm level that I can handle. I have street plates and one day I tried the freeway, I don't advise this,you are so small that semi's can blow you away.I go of road with these tires on my back 40 and even where there are no roads Ive never had a problem.It's not the Big Tire thing,but I'm more interested in the cost. no problems with power loss,it's a 4 speed and I think it would be fine if it was a 5 speed.mazda sports car rims are a bit larger than the car bolt pattern,so be ware. the sports car rims will fit a Hijet if you machine the center hole a little.good luck. I didn't use a lift and the tires rub a little in tight turns. I'm planing on lifting a little and then trying 14" rims. Good Luck .Lefitz

shill likes this.
  13. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

My 489's are a 6 ply rating, I was told that the ACT was the same tire with a new name, was told that TITAN was bought out by carlisle. Same tire!