1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired and Confused

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by gregw98, Sep 25, 2008.

1. gregw98

gregw98 Member

I have been looking for some Beefy street tires. I would love to have BFG All Terrain T/A tires but they are not available in 12s or 13s. I wanted to use the aluminum wheels on my truck and do away with the Carlisle All Terrain tires. About 95% of my driving will be on road, but I like a wide footprint. My tires are brand new and hate the idea of wasting them with street driving. I need to either go with 13's and ?? tires and sell my wheel/tire combo; or find a wide 12 street tire for my current 12 inch wheels. I am about worn out trying to figure this out or find what I am looking for. Whewwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gator

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

you really aren't going to get much of a selection of tires until you step up to 14's. there are a lot of 12" tires out there but mostly for off road and you won't see a lengthy service life with those on the street, not to mention they will be loud.

i don't know if they have them where you live, but i started out at the used wheel and tire shops looking for a set. they had plenty of steel wheels but i wanted aluminum. they only wanted like 25 bucks for stock steel wheels off honda civics.

i eventually found the set i bought on craigslist. i really don't like the tire size though. 185/65 14 is a bit too much overdrive IMO. these tires are 23.5" & give me an 11% difference and sometimes it's a bit tough to keep up my momentum when i get to a hill on the freeway. where as a 165/65 14 is 22.4" & only a 6.2% overdrive, i think my truck would handle that much better.

the 185's clear the wheel wells with no problem, i did have to trim my front mudflaps a bit to keep the tires from rubbing on turns.

3. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

i agree. but i think im gonna have to go with a 175 65 14 cuz i cant find any 165 65 14 anywhere.

4. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

How bout this?

Attached Files:

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

That's more like it! :D

6. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  7. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey greg...those are some pretty cool retro mags ;D
    i am puting on 165/60-14 tires i got through car modifier.com, there 21.78" tall and stock is 21.14 so it will be OK for the big hills on the highway, mine will be in at the end of Oct. here are pic's of my wheels
    wyatt

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 21.JPG
      21.JPG
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

one more thing...this size will clear everything with no mods :D
    wyatt

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Size? Brand? Tks

10. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

the wheels are core racing model evo7 sold through Kal tire $89.99 each the tires are marangoni model trio $72.06 each from car modifier. the tires are from italy and the tires i ordered are coming with there winter shippment but they will have them in stock in the spring. talk to Derrek at car modifier he the one i ordered with.
    wyatt

11. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

oldsnoman, See the quote box in the message? that's who the message was directed at FYI

12. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

what backspacing are you guys running? im looken at some 14x6 with 40mm backspace.

13. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

My Kia's are 45 offset with 5.5" wide. It just makes it without rubbing on the front strut
    spring. That's why avoided the 6" wide rims i.e. Miata's cause with the extra 1/2" I was worried about problems.
    Sambar's have really short studs, so no room for spacers without the time/ trouble to replace all the studs.
    Also then your tire starts sticking out past the side of the truck, started thinking about the rocks taking out the
    paint on the door. And the further you go out the more chance on turns it will hit either front sheet metal or mudflap.

I was orginally looking for Nissan Sentra 14x5.5 c/w 59.1 bore hole [fits Sambar] and I think that the offset is 40, but dont hold me to that.
    Couldn't find any Sentra's and then the Kia's came along so cheap I couldn't pass.

Not sure how the O.D. of the front spring compares on a Sambar to other makes but I think to summerize that 40 offest would be the best.

If you got a way to try before buying then a front fitment should tell you a go/ no go.

14. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Those are 13" Chinese jobbies. Chao Yang brand. DOT market so legal on the road here in Canada.

Size is marked 6.4/6.5-13 lol. I dont know the conversion there. Regardless, some are incoming for evaluation. Should be here end of Octoberish. We will see if they are any good.

Attached Files:

15. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Thanks MB. Good luck with the evalution, the tread looks great so hopefully they past muster.

16. Rickster

Rickster Member

minibrutes

These look exactly like what I have been looking for. What is the O.D. if these tires and where can I get a set?

17. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

I do not have any in my filthy hands quite yet. Again, initial samples are incoming with our next load of trucks, due to leave in 1-2 weeks. So, 4-6 weeks till I actually test them out.

I will try and get and outer diameter for you sooner though.

Jeremy

18. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Same here Rickster. They do look like the BFG T/A All Terrains.

19. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Overall Diameter is 25"

20. danish

danish Member

If you can get them, I don't think you'll have a problem getting rid of them. I know I would take some. Keep us posted!!

21. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

I can get them, that is not an issue. I am just not sure how good this chinese tire will actually be.

They arent going to be cheap either. They will be $129ish when they land.

Now, if anyone wants an evaluation/special order set, let me know before friday. I can get them for $95 ea in the first load as samples. Not returnable mind you, and I need payment upfront.

Otherwise, I will post photos and reviews when they get here.

22. chado

chado New Member

Hey guys new to the forums here. I have been reading this forum for weeks. Excellent info!! I can tell you we run Chao Yang tires on our semi truck trailers with no problems don't know if that helps or not.

23. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Well, That is a step in the positive direction then. At least they arent junk for you.

24. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

on my 92 mitsu the back spacing is 5", the wheels i am using that just fit are 14x6" with a +35mm offset. this just clear the strut and keeps 99% of the wheel under the truck with no spacer or mods. the tires are 165/60-14, this are 21.78" tall and stock is 21.14" so it will give you a little less rpm's on the highway. if you have any other questions about tires and wheels let me know, i have worked in the tire business for 13 years and i am a auto mechanic.:D
    hope this helps
    wyatt

25. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey that tire looks like an old uniroyal jeep service, my son had the jeep service's on a internation scout 700x15", really tough tire and lots of traction but a little wobbelly on the highway :D

wyatt

26. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

YEP!! i knew they looked familiar! we used to run the 700x15 on the front of our baja class 5 and class 9 cars... i just couldn't remember what they looked like.

FYI if you take the first numbers 700 (that's 7.00") that's the side wall height (and you have to count it twice) and the 15 is the rim size. 7" + 15" + 7" = 29" overall. for the mini tries 6.4" + 13" + 6.4" = about 26"

27. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey milt...i don't know if they still make them but i will find out;)
    wyatt

28. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

what tire did you use in a 165/60/14? i just ordered wheels now i need tires. i cant find anything smaller than a 175-65

29. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hey milt...no luck with the jeep service :( i call a few guys i know in the business and no luck...you can still get big ones 750-15" way tooo big for mini's :D
    wyatt

30. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

its a summer tire called marangoni and the model is trio, go to carmodifier.com and look by tire size in the summer tire section. the bad thing is that they will not have any summer tires like this in until i was told march, mine were spiecal ordered with the winter tire order but go on line and take a look at them :D

wyatt