1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire question re: AMS Swamp Fox

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by 57 Ranch, Jan 19, 2019.

1. 57 Ranch

57 Ranch New Member

After extensive reading on many tire related threads, I came to the conclusion, that the AMS Swamp Fox, 23x8x12 might be a good choice for my mostly off-road, ranch use, 1999 Suzuki Carry.
    There were many mini truck users, who claimed satisfaction with these tires, so I took advantage of a super deal on a set of new ones. Upon looking them over, I find out they're rated at 280lbs. max load.
    My question is....how in the heck are these suitable for a 1600lb. (empty weight) mini?
    I guess we'll see, because I own them, so we're going to put them to the test on my mini dump.
    Any input is highly welcomed, especially, from folks who have experience with Swamp Fox tires!

2. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

I put on baja cross x/d 25x8r12 tires they are 8ply and are rated up to 805lbs at 18psi. My truck came with 4 ply atv tires and they weren't holding up to the weight of the truck. I'm very happy with these stronger tires.

Capn37, SAITCHO and 57 Ranch like this.
  3. 57 Ranch

57 Ranch New Member

I've got a feeling I'll be going a similar route before long!

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

If one is inclined to do some serious digging, it will be found that the number of plys is a rating, not actual plys. I run 8 ply tires and they are actually 4 physical ply in the sidewalls and an extra 2 belts in the circumference under the tread area. This is because of the strength of newer materials utilized in the manufacturing process versus the strength of materials used in the timeframe when the standards were set.

Fred

5. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Hey Articmini can you elaborate more on the Baja cross.

How do you like them in the mud?
    How do you like them on hardpack?
    What kind of load do you put in the truck and do you feel like they could handle more?
    How do you like 25 inch tires, do they rob too much torque?

I spent countless hours doing some researching on various UTV tires, making spread sheet on various brands and load rating, the Baja cross are the best load rating UTV tire with decent threads I have found so far. The ROCTANE and MOTOFORCE where next on the list. I liked the VIPR too. I was amazed at how low the load rating where on many UTV tires. If you can answer my questions I think it would close the subject of tires choice at rest and I will focus on the next subject, how to get the truck to articulate better offroad.....

Many Thanks

6. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

These tires do well in mud and hard pack because the lugs are spaced apart enough for mud but still give a smooth enough ride on dirt roads. I haul loads of dirt and gravel with no issues. The 4 ply atv tires that I had weren't holding up to weight of the truck. A 25 inch tire is the tallest I can fit with a 3 inch lift.

7. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

Check out 4x4 pro staff they make some impressive suspension kits for the suzuki carry that improves the offroad capabilities. They have some videos on Youtube with their trucks in action.

8. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Thanks for the info, if you dont mind I got a few more questions for you.

Is your lift kit only a strut spacer?
    Any CV binding when suspension is fully unloaded?
    Did you modify the fenders to prevent rubbing beside trimming front bumper?
    What offset are your rims?

I cant wait to get my hands on my truck and start wrenching at it....

9. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

I have the strut spacer in the front with 250lb afco springs on the struts. The wheels are STI wheels. I trimmed back a little bit of the bottom corner of the doors and rocker panels. That prevents the tire from hitting.

10. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Hey thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

11. 57 Ranch

57 Ranch New Member

Well, I was able to swap out the AMS Swamp Fox tires for a set of 23x8x12 Maxxis Ceros 6 ply rated tires. They'll be here in a day or two, so I'll see how that works.
    Hoping they fit without drastic lifting, or trimming. This is a trail/yard truck, so no heavy rock crawling type nosedives.

12. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I'm interested in how you end up liking the Maxxis Ceros... Let us know when you get some miles on them.