1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire pressure

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Arty, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Arty

Arty Active Member

This may seem a little basic, but I'm curious what tire pressure people are running for street use in their KEI trucks. I know these things will never have a smooth ride, but man, does mine ever bang when I hit even a medium sized bump. - - My shocks and struts are new, and so are my shackle bushings. - - I'm thinking of going down to maybe 22psi, but am curious if anyone else does this.

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

What tire are you running? I’ll assume it isn’t the original. And it changes based on your axle load.

Here is a good guide. https://www.toyotires.com/media/3729/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20200723.pdf

Option two if you have a good noncontact thermometer: Run the vehicle at speed for at least ten minutes to warm the tire up. Use the thermometer to check the temperature side to side, across the tire tread. Same temperature al the way across, and the pressure is good. Higher in the middle too high. Higher on one side, of one front tire the camber is wrong. Higher on one side of both front tires and the toe is wrong.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Limestone likes this.
  3. Arty

Arty Active Member

Jigs:
    The tires are "Federal Ecovan" LVR 145R12C. - and thanks also for the guide. - And I may have to revert to measuring tire temperature cross sections as you have suggested. - Reminds me of my old racing days. Who ever thought I'd have to be doing it on a MiniTruck!!

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s where I learned it. We had liquid crystal thermo tape. We’d run a practice lap, pull into the pits, and immediately lay the tape across the tread, and see if the tape was the same all the way across.

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

There will be a sticker in the door that lists the pressure in KG/cm2. Google can convert that number into a PSI for you or if you want to be nifty, a lot of digital tire gauges can switch to KG/cm2 C ply is 6 ply LT which is probably what your truck calls for.

If you swap to passenger rate tires, you will have to increase your pressure when your hauling