1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for removing windshield on a HA4 Honda Acty?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by GDubRacer, Oct 16, 2020.

1. GDubRacer

GDubRacer New Member

Hi there!

I’m new to the forum & new to the world of Mini Truck ownership.

just bought a 1991 Acty which has some small rust holes at the bottom corners for the windshield which I’d like to repair.

I’ve got to get the molding & probably glass out to properly get at it.

I searched the web & this forum and I found a few people say their mini trucks had a gasket type seal / installation.

Looking at it, it seems like there’s an inner flange and then the outer molding which it firmly stuck on there. Not really sure how it’s all done.

I might just have to bite the bullet and pay a glass repair shop to remove it & reinstall it but thought I’d check here for advice first!

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Bert Stevens

Bert Stevens Active Member

I have the same rust hole same place. must be common? Looking at my windshield, I know what I would try, but having never removed HA4 windshield, I'm going to wait to see what others say, before I crack my window, looks glued in. so cut away the plastic from the outside and use a piano wire to cut the adhesive. two person job. I don't believe you can save the trim.

3. GDubRacer

GDubRacer New Member

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it must be a common rust spot.

That does make sense now that you mention it. I had also come to the conclusion that I was going to need to destroy that seal so I’ve ordered a replacement.

I’ll let you know how the repair goes.

4. Bert Stevens

I know others here have removed the windshield, I'm not telling you what to do. I would wait till I get a confirmation from them. You may be able to gently pull the trim off, after heating up the goo underneath. I don't know how it is attached, many types have clips that break. No other way. This trim looks and feels glued. Did you search "windshield replace" yet. I seem to recall it being a topic .

Limestone likes this.
  5. Bert Stevens

it was on/in? FaceBook join "honda acty group" many in there have done it. I just looked. two guys, one wire.
    (edit) For any reading this in the future, Because the windshield is flat . some have replaced it with Lexan and are very happy with results.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

I’ve not done a Honda but have removed and replaced a few Daihastu’s and Suzuki’s Which have a rubber gasket style seal . I spray the snot out of with soapy water and use a plastic trim remover and start in a corner on the inside pulling the rubber edge out, spray and push with the Pom of my hand outward and work my way across the top and down the around with the trim remover . Have a helper to hold the window and keep it from falling .
    Takes about 5 minutes to do just be careful and use nothing metal .

Limestone likes this.
  7. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Koffer,
    Not done one on these units, but those are my thoughts exactly! Back in the day, the windshield had like a zipper, on the face of it, outside. A lot of soapy water, and no metal tools! Some of the plastic, trim tools on the market are pretty handy, and amazing today!
    Limestone

8. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

From your description it sounds like the old style gasket retention system.

You remove them by slipping a cord in past the glass. Search YouTube for “ remove old style windshield”.
    The idea is to lift the gasket up over a metal flange and out. It really isn’t hard. But can be impossible if you’re vehicle is old, and the rubber has hardened.

Limestone likes this.