1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Maks for S83P EF-CS Engine HELP!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Steve S83, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

I've searched and can't find any thread specific to my year/engine. Timing belt broke, replacing seals, water pump etc... but need some help with the timing. I see the marks on both crank and cam pulleys but need to know the corresponding marks on the block/case. Also, I've heard different information on interference or non-interference. The cam pulley turns but requires a wrench and will spring forward after about 1/3 of a rotation. Is this normal? Should it be able to be easily turned by hand? As always, thanks for any help!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The cam wants to rotate until the spring pressure on the lobes is the least.

To check if it is an interference engine, get any piston to top dead center, and try rotating the cam. If the valves hit the piston, you have an interference engine.

To check if you actually had contact when the belt broke: I’d recommend that you buy one of the inexpensive “endoscope” cameras and put it through the spark plug holes, and look for any signs of impact on the pistons.

3. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Confirmed, non interference. The cam rotates with cylinder at TDC.

Any advice on the cam timing marks? The crank is easy, corresponding dimple on crank pully and case as well as dimple on flywheel but I don't have a mark on the case at the cam. There is a notch cut into the cam cover at about 2 o'clock position. Ive read that there should be an "F" and a dimple on the cam sprocket at 90 degrees from one another but mine are on the same tooth. I've also read the cam sprocket dimple should be at 6 o'clock position with the "F" at 3 o'clock when the crank is positioned in line with the mark on the case.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.