1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to lube the cables

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Shrimp Daddy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

It was -10F again tonight with nasty wind chills. The mini was sitting in the work parking lot for 24 hours and started up fine. The latest snow has shown just how light in the rear these trucks are, as I could not get any traction. I'll have to get a few sand bags for the bed tomorrow. I pulled up on the 4 wheel drive lever with no luck. I presume it has a frozen cable that needs cleaned/lubricated. I have searched for some of the past posts on freezing cables. Sounds like I'd better lube up the clutch and gas pedal cables as well. The minus temps usually are saved for January. But this year they have come a month early.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

yup sounds bout right. if its froze i think bet to run some de-icer down first then some good free flowing lube to get all the water out!

3. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I pulled the seats out today and removed the center console housing the parking brake and 4wd shifter. Sprayed some chain and cable lubricant into the cable ends and greased up the transmission shifter knuckle. Everything moved more smoothly. I'll need some more cold weather to test. -25F last night, but it is supposed to warm up a bit now.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

putting a bit of heat into the cable with a torch(inner cable not the sleeve) obviously not till red hot just some good steady heat so the lube/grease will flow all the way along ...works great on sticking snowmobile cables...I usually make a funnel at the high end by wrapping a bit of duct tape around the outer sleeve and the pouring the lube in and letting it flow while heating the opposite end....let us know how you make out :pop: