1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tie rod ends on a 91 Carry DD51T

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by airboss20, Oct 29, 2020.

1. airboss20

airboss20 New Member

New here, recently bought a '91 Carry DD51T and I love it. Already used it to haul a hard side hunting blind DEEP into the woods for a friend.

But with the truck, I also bought a couple problems. One being the "Death Wobble" at speed. I have read all of the postings regarding it on this forum and I am replacing several worn parts on the front suspension.

Most of the parts I see are in one of two categories.....
    1. Located state side, available quickly but wicked expensive.
    2 Located in the Philippines and wicked cheap, but takes 2 months to arrive.

I have sourced most of my front steering components reasonably, but the tie rod ends are stupid expensive.

My big question is if anyone has cross referenced the part numbers with anything available at one of the big box auto part outlets in the states. Perhaps a Sidekick or something similar?

If someone could crack this question, you would be a savior to the mini truck community.

2. Heiny

Heiny Member

Have you replaced the steering arm bushing? That seems to be the most likely culprit. Mine just started acting up. Can you see slop/movement in the tie rod joints? I would think they would be close to complete failure to cause wobble.

3. airboss20

airboss20 New Member

Hey Kevin,

There is play in literally every joint in the steering system. Its a miracle the wheels haven't gone completely cross-eyed going down the road.

4. Heiny

Heiny Member

Oh, LOL. I Am taking my bushing out tomorrow, I hope that is all that is bad. Apparently there are cheap Chinese versions that don’t last long, and original Japanese that cost more. I will try to get the better one if possible, changing them looks to suck. I will try and post some pics if I figure out how.

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Cross the parts through niparts. You will likely find the aftermarkets

6. Stanran

Stanran New Member

I also had a hard time holding the road on a windy day...lots of steering wheel play . When I jacked up the frt rt tire the tire would pivot 1/2 + in back and forth. when looking under for slop I noticed the pivot plate moved up and down ..nasty the bushing is shot . I ordered a new one from G&R imports in mo. will install it this spring . other fittings seem tight. $ 40 plus shipping.