1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tie rod ends for 1996 Carry needed!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ironraven, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Hey all, I've tried a couple dealers and nobody has one in stock... does anyone have tie rod ends or an entire tie rod with ends for a 1996 Carry? I don't want to drive the truck on the road right now as I don't want to do any damage to the rest of the steering system and she's shaking pretty bad at 60+ kph :(

2. o8k

o8k Member

you mean the ball joint type bushing where it connnects to the wheel is fry'ed? hate to back you up a step but, could it be the radius rod bushings? wheel ballance problem? Lower control arm bushing?

reason i ask is, about every bushing on my front end is shot and im constantly tweeking it back into submission...

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

4. werase643

werase643 Member

check the center bushing also
    my lower ball joints were bad but so is the center brg

since i only drive it on turf/gravel i decided to not spend the 60-80 bucks

5. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Both good points... I'll need to take it to get an alignment once my new tires get here anyway, I'll have them give it a thorough once over.

6. dowhat

dowhat Member

Do you know the specs of tie rods? Length, male/female threading, RH/LH threading? I posted tie rod catalog in this thread.

These tie rods are not listed on moogs website, they fit my Hijet. The ES488L are for the left outer and right inner, LH threading. The ES484R are for the RT outer and left inner, RH threading, $20-25 each. I don't have the Raybestos cross-reference number on me.

Input part number, click on interchange, enter. Here

Moog tie rod catalog, here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Hot damn! Thanks dude, I don't know the specs but I'm sure the guys at the tire shop could find out what they are and let me know...

8. dowhat

dowhat Member

Your welcome. If it is your steering bushing. Let me know the specs of your old one. If you input idler arm bushing in the second web link in my prior post, you may be able to find a replacement. And please let us know which tie rods work for you.

9. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yeah dude, I'll figure it out and report back for sure :)

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Wow, you totally called it! Tie rod ends were fine, but the idler bushing was shot. I'm trying the idler bushing from a Suzuki Sidekick... it looked the same on paper but there weren't any measurements so I guess we'll see when it comes in.

11. dowhat

dowhat Member

Bushings

I posted a catalog of suspension/steering bushings, based on dimensions, in my thread on the Reference side. It may help you.

12. werase643

werase643 Member

yeah, at about . . . . 38mph(whatever KM i converted in my head) the damn thing acts like THAT SHOPPING CART i always get at HELLMART
    With the R-1 lug tires....I don't go that fast anymore

13. axle

axle Member

try the tire balancing at the tire shop, if it shake at high speed unbalance tire is one of the causes for shaking.

14. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Crap... I don't see anything that matches in there. So the thing I ordered probably won't work... but whatevers, I'll keep looking I guess. If I have to end up paying full price for one from a mini truck dealer so be it.

15. dowhat

dowhat Member

Iron,
    If you can, post/pm the specs of your bushing(length, inside diameter and outside diameter).

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Length is 3"
    Inner diameter is .75"
    Outer diameter is 1.3"

I haven't knocked it out of the idler yet because I don't want to completely destroy it and I need to plow probably tomorrow; we're due for 4-8" of snow... but if the Sidekick bushing looks like it's close I'll pull my stock one and check it out.

17. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I got my idler bushing in yesterday, but I probably won't have the chance to do anything with it until tomorrow evening. It looks like the right size... but it may also be 1/2" shorter than the original. I may possibly have the right one though, the inner and outer diameters look like they're pretty damn close. I don't know where my caliper is so I can't measure it exactly and I don't want to tear the truck apart until I for sure have the time to fix it. I'll keep ya'll posted :)

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Well, no go on the Sidekick bushing. It's about .5mm too small on the ID, about .75mm too small on the OD and about 2mm short :/ Back to the drawing board I guess...

19. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

OK, here are some slightly more precise measurements:

Length: 7cm
    ID: 2cm
    OD: 3.2cm

My mission today is to try and find some windo-weld Poly Fill and repair this sucka I'm going to cut off the bottom worn and cracked part of the rubber part of the bushing, put it back in the metal sleeve (that I can't seem to be able to get out of the damn idler arm) and then fill it with 3M "windo-weld" poly fill. That stuff gets super hard we'll see what happens... :pop:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  20. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

OK, so the windo weld worked for all of a couple days :/ so now I need to buy a new bushing I guess. damn.

21. bigmo

bigmo New Member

What model hi jet is yours I have a 92 model looking for tie rod ends.

22. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

if i remember right iron does not have a hi jet he has a suzuki or i thought thats what he had lol

23. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

24. l78ervlyjsw

l78ervlyjsw New Member

Chanel Purse

Chanel Bag yebopdbjbp <strong><a href="http://www.chanelsea.com">Chanel Purse</a></strong> Chanel Sunglasses 2012 rdmkcejcze Chanel Sunglasses 2012 Chanel Bags smmmumonlr http://www.chanelsea.com Chanel Purse Chanel Sunglasses 2012 vulddbtphb