1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tie Rod adjustment

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jimhammer1, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

1997 Suzuki Carry. Is there a trick to backing off the jamb nut? I've tried penetrating oil, heat and a bunch of muscle... I think I know the answer, MORE muscle. Before I do it I just want to make sure I'm not going to bend it beyond all recognition. I'm about ready to remove both rods and take them to the bench. Whoever lifted it the 3" didn't do an alignment and the toe is rediculous. Maybe I'm supposed to do some sort of Japanese ceremony first...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I think it takes a metric crescent wrench ???

:D

Sorry, I just had to say that.... I really have no idea really...good luck..

3. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

Left or right handed metric crescent? :D

4. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Jim,

I'm sure you have already considered this, but one nut is right handed and one is left handed. I know that I got very confused, lying upside down, looking at both ends and trying to figure out which way to turn them! But, the jam nuts were really tight on mine also.

5. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

Thanks James. I think I'm trying in the right direction. Even went so far as running my thumb nail in the threads to ascertain the direction. I think I'll remove them as my "persuaders" are getting pretty big and I don't want to destroy them.

6. Colin

Colin Member

I don't think you tried enough heat. Get the nut cherry red with your torch. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  7. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

I might try that when I get it out and on the bench if I can't get it otherwise. Thanks for the tip.

Jim

8. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

I'm having the same problem

Ditto on your post, I tried everything to get that **** nut loose. heat muscle and a lot of cursing. Nothing worked :frustration:
    I almost went and cut off the ends today and made new tie rods but thought I would check the posts here first. Did you ever get yours loose? Im trying the cherry red thing tommorrow if that doesn't work I'll be fabbing new ones :(

9. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

I did finally get one side backed off. I put penetrating oil on it every day for about five days. Using the tip JR gave me I started working the other side in the opposite direction. A couple of days later I got it loosened. After setting the toe it magnified the camber being way out of adjustment. I purchased a new lift kit with an adjustable camber and now all is good. Good luck with it.

10. 4Wheelin

4Wheelin Member

Where would you have purchased said lift with adjustable camber? I see no adjustment for my 94 Mits. :frustration:

11. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

I purchased the lift kit (2 1/4in) with the camber adjustment and a added leaf in the rear from Crossroads Import out of Cameron, MO (816) 632 3174. I think they are a sponsor for this forum. Easy to work with and a quality product.

12. Cavvietta

Cavvietta Guest

Pictures

Can you guys post pictures of your kits with camber adjustment I want to see how they compare to the one i built.
    Also thanks for the tip didn't get time to work on it today hopefully tommorrow I want to get it done so i can drive it and see how it feels.

13. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

This forum won't accept my pictures. They are too large.
    The top of the spacer cut for the bolts is elongated to allow the top of the wheel to be moved in or out before tightening down the spacer nuts thereby adjusting the camber.