1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about putting a 1999 Sambar on CAMSO Tracks....

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Tirediron, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron New Member

I keep a 1999 Sambar high up in the Rockies at 9000ft.....and now its the snowy time of the year. I have seen several videos of the Suzuki Carry on Camso Tracks and it looks like a lot of fun. Other than already knowing that its more difficult to put a lift kit on the Sambars.....has anyone else here put their truck on tracks.
    If so.....I'd like to hear your experiences.
    Thanks for your time.

TiredIron

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

TiredIron,
    I always wanted to do that! Having run, and operate a lot of track construction equipment my whole life, you can't beat tracks when you need them! I noticed that your from Cotapoxi, Co. I hunted up there with one of my sons the last couple of yrs. Great country. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Limestone

3. TahoeSambar

TahoeSambar New Member

I found this picture of a KS on tracks. I know it won't be easy but I'll be tracking mine by next Winter

Attached Files:

4. Limestone

Tahoe,
    That has always intrigued me! I love that set up! I noticed that it can be a little pricey, but what the heck! If you do it, you've got to keep us posted! I am halfway, crazily thinking about it, weather it's on the unit I have or possibly another one! Heck if nothin else it's fun to dream!
    Limestone

TahoeSambar likes this.
  5. Tirediron

Tirediron New Member

Gentlemen.....thank you for your replies. The snow is melted here now so this idea tries to drift away. Thanks for keeping it going. I sent CAMSO an email asking them if they had an actual kit for my 1999 Sambar...and they never even replied. They disappointed me. I also sent an Email to "Four Sons Off-Roaad" in Canada and AGAIN didn't get a response. I don't know what it takes to get any help....or any prices....but it sounds like maybe you've done better than ME.
    What kind of price have you found....and did they have a "Bolt on Kit"? Or is up to you to fabricate it and "Re-Invent the Frickin' Wheel.?
    TiredIron

6. Limestone

Tired,
    I was curious, I've been up in your area before! Gorgeous country, and yet pretty rugged terain! I was wondering how the rock, and gravel would act on the inside of the track mechanisms? I've operated a lot of track equipment over the yrs., and I can tell you first hand that construction rated track equipment, looks to be a lot heavier duty than, the CAMSO tracks, that might be available for these units! That being said, I do still like the idea of the, especially in the snow, and trying to be care full with the ROCK! Just a thought. I never checked in to it, or priced it! Keep us posted!
    Limestone

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Tirediron

Tirediron New Member

Limestone, I honestly would have no intentions of operating this tracked Sambar on anything except snow.....and that's kinda something that has me worried. I bet if If
    drop 4-5k dollars on outfitting my little truck..."It'll NEVER snow again up there. I'll end up having to trailering somewhere ....looking for snow. I owned a Tucker Snocat 1342 for a while....and the whole time I had it....IT DIDN'T SNOW. My neighbor has been on me to get a used cheap Snow mobile....I should probably do that to test my curse.....to see if its still active.
    TiredIron

TahoeSambar likes this.
  8. TahoeSambar

TahoeSambar New Member

Tired, very cool that you had a Tucker! I am a groomer here in Tahoe and I'm a snowcat fanatic! (Hence my weird little project truck) My plan is to keep my eye on the used market closer to Summer time. I try to get my Winter toys in the Summer and my Summer toys in the Winter. It saves me a few bucks but it can be torture! I'm seeing new Camso's on eBay for $4k obo currently, I'm more in the $2-3k (wishful thinking) ballpark

Limestone, bummer to hear about your experience with Camso & 4Sons. I've watched 4son's videos and I am hoping to get one of their conversion spacers. I will reach out to them sooner with this info. I'm hoping they didn't respond because of all of this closure craziness and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

My brother has them on his Arctic Cat, and they are in the shop about as often as they are out. I tease him that for what he spent he could have got a minitruck with a nice warm cab, and a snow blower for the front. Torques his jaw.

You won’t find a kit specifically made for the minitrucks. Basically your looking for a set with the right bolt pattern that isn’t too long. The length of the rear pair isn’t as critical, but the front set has to be able to turn without hitting the body. So they have to be shorter.

Limestone likes this.
  10. Tirediron

Tirediron New Member

Are the failures he is experiencing..."The Arctic Cat itself"....or the CAMSO Tracks...?
    Thanks

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’m not sure of the failure mode. They were the first set of tracks the dealer he bought it from had sold/installed. And, he is mechanically sterile, so he is no help.

12. Limestone

Tahoe,
    I think you got me mixed up with,Tired! I've had no experience with Camso, or 4 sons, or My three Sons for that matter! LOL!
    Limestone

13. Limestone

Tirediron,
    I was revisiting, a few sights earlier, and I ran across this about tracks, in 2014! Spaner, has a post, Super Charger Build, page 23, with more info, on the tracks! I still find these interesting!
    Limestone