1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The simplest things.......

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Wolfman, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Can make the nastiest of sounds. Yesterday, I had to run to the hardware store to pick up a new sawzall blade, as I bent the one that I was using. I hopped into the Hijet, and headed into town. When I got to the hardware store, I could hear what I swear was a metallic "taptaptaptaptap" type of sound, as well as feel a hard miss. Such noises are never good, right? Well, grab the blade, and head home - genuinely worried about what I was hearing. Going home, I cannot get the truck over 45 mph, the little red "I'm sick light" was lit, and I can literally feel the misfire at all revs. Thinking the worst, I pull it straight into the carport, and walk down to my neighbours house. I started the truck again later that night, long after it cooled down. The tap was gone, but the miss was still plainly evident.

Next morning, I got up, and pulled the engine access panel while I waited for my neighbour to pick me up, so we could go get my other car, which was at the stealership getting some other maintenance work done. I pull the wire and plug for cylinder #3. It's wet and reeks of fuel. Then pull on the plug wire for #2 and get both #2 and #1 wires in my hand at the same time. #2 plug was bone dry, but black. I pulled #1 plug, and it was also wet, and reeking of gasoline. The little nub at the top of the plug was also missing. I looked inside #1 plug wire, and see the nub still inside. I used the plug to get the nub out, and securely tighten all three of the nubs (again), to insure that they were all tight.

Figuring at this point "what the heck," I reinstalled the plugs, made double sure that all three wires were absolutely secure on their plugs, and started the truck up. It fired up with a rather thick black cloud. No more miss, no odd noises. The light is still lit, but I haven't had the chance to drive it anywhere yet to really clean out the system.

I was absolutely sick over the though that I had REALLY broken my little truck somehow last night. :eek:

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Wow, it could be an easy fix for what could have been an bigger problem. Let us know what happens when you take it for a drive again!
    Best of luck,
    -mark

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

It's driving fine. I drove it to the post office yesterday. I will need to remove the oxy sensor, and clean it again to clear the fault light.

4. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Good to hear!
    -mark