1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "General"

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Ohkei Dohkei, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Member

I've been trying to decide on a name for the Sambar now that It's in my hands. Here is the background for those who didn't follow when I was trying to import it.. https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/newbie-here-importing-a-sambar-or-a-hijet-soon.18495/

I live in Georgia and plan to use this as an off road vehicle 95% of the time mostly as a hunting companion to not only get to the deer stand, but also load deer, haul seed, fertilizer, etc around the camp in an enclosed cab with a/c and heat when needed. Since I'm in Georgia, I looked for motivation from various famous Ga vehicles in TV and movies, and although smokey and the bandit was one of my favorites, that would have to be more of a street rod theme. Then, I couldn't help but see myself jumping creeks, straitnin' the curves, flattnin the hills and staying one step ahead of Roscoe in this thing. I'm not planning on going full out with paint schemes and (potentially offensive) graphics , but just looking for something to get some spirit and inspiration from, while helping the sambar help me around the hunting camp. Here is how it looked when it arrived. It's a 94 KS-4 4wd, unfortunately no diff lock.
    My Initial plans are to:
    1. Get it insured, tagged and titled
    2. Install a new stereo and speakers
    3. Install a winch on the front
    4. Off road lights
    5. Cup holders
    6. Fab up a 2" receiver trailer hitch for light tow duty
    7. Install a roll on/spray on bed liner
    8. Install a winch/deer loader on the rear
    9. Fix the A/C (suspect bad expansion valve)

After that, I'm going to run it and determine whether I need larger tires/or a lift It currently has new 21" super diggers on it.

Attached Files:

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Member

Got insurance from my local State Farm, no problem. Tag office was a disaster. The state decided to install a new computer system so no one knew how to get around on it and the lines were incredibly long. 3 hours later I got to the front of the line where I was given a form for a police officer to inspect the truck. With my little VIN # issue I was not looking forward to it. The officer looked at the truck from about 50 yards, ran the VIN that I wrote on the form on the radio and it came back as "no record/not stolen. He signed the form and back to the tag office. The new system wouldn't accept the address in Japan until the guy found the tab at the top that said other countries. Then it was accepted and my tag and title are on the way!

3. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Member

Winch is on! I went with a 2500# Harbor freight with remote control. It's rated for vehicles up to 1600# and was on sale for $50. I have a snatch block if I need a little more oomph.. I also painted the bumper with plastic trim paint while I had it off since it was pretty faded. I also picked up a pair of JBL 4x6 speakers and a $12 Blaupunkt Bluetooth/MP3 stereo (Oh how the mighty have fallen). It's quite the improvement over the AM. and hands-free is the law here.

Attached Files: