1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas OHV plates

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by David Tucker, Feb 10, 2021.

1. David Tucker

David Tucker New Member

As of March 2020, the state is required to title ATVs, UTVs, ROVs, and sand rails and offers OHV plates for these vehicles allowing them on roads under 35. Has anyone on here attempted to title their truck under this new setup? I'm importing an Acty and wondering if I should try this route to get it on local roads when not out on the ranch. Relevant excerpts from the state site below, any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

The TxDMV is required to title off-highway vehicles (ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails), but these vehicles are not eligible for registration. Off-highway vehicles are eligible to receive an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate, which may be obtained from your county tax assessor-collector’s office. For Driver License requirements to operate any of these vehicles, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety. A Texas Use Tax will apply to vehicles purchased in other states. Find details on paying use tax visit the Texas Comptroller website..

A Utility Vehicle (UTV) is a motor vehicle that:

• Has side by side seating for the operator and passenger
    • Has four or more tires
    • Is designed for off-highway use
    • Is designed by the manufacturer for utility work and not for recreational purposes.

2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Texas from what I understand is horrible to do BUT it is possible to license them as regular vehicles.. As long as the vehicle is 25 years or older to the month when imported and with the correct paperwork, then they can be titled for the road in most any state with some exceptions

David Tucker likes this.
  3. David Tucker

David Tucker New Member

I hope so. All of the importers here are very explicit about these trucks not being legal in TX. I’ve heard stories about titles being revoked, so while I’m going to go the regular vehicle route first I’m already trying to formulate back-up plans.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Depending on the clerk you might run into problems because it was not designed for off highway.

5. David Tucker

David Tucker New Member

Right, I think I'd have to make the argument to the clerk. 4wd, locking differential, 4 spd/lower top speed... and not able to be registered in TX as a regular vehicle. I know that technically you should be able to, but others in my county have recently tried and been rejected. I wish I had some original marketing material for the Attack. Wikipedia mentions it was marketed specifically to farmers and it would be great to have something that said as much from Honda.

6. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

Well, this is interesting...October 2021 version. Wonder how this is interpreted on vehicles exempt from environmental and safety standards? (i.e., greater than 25 years old)

upload_2021-12-7_15-29-14.png