1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing head gasket

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Alec Litchfield, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Alec Litchfield

Alec Litchfield New Member

Hi all, thanks for having me!

i have a 1998 1.0l Hijet camper conversion, for reasons unknown, coolant is being lost relatively quickly, however when the coolant system is full, it runs great. no other signs of head gasket issues, starts on the button, no white smoke, no goo in the oil.
    to try to answer whether it is a head gasket / cracked head issue, I have bought a very cheap CO2 testing kit from ebay (I appreciate it is not the most technical piece of equipment!). (link to what it looks like - not selling!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...m570.l1313&_nkw=co2+head+testing+kit&_sacat=0

my question is: has anyone used one of these? I am able to install it into the expansion tank lid, however this is kind of useless, as the overflow pipe just reales all the gas from the engine side cap.

is it a case of maybe bulldog clipping this pipe in order to create enough pressure to test?

does anyone else have any clever ideas on how / where to install this? potentially the engine-side pressure cap?

Many thanks in advance!

Alec IMG_2605.JPEG IMG_2607.JPEG IMG_2609.JPEG

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

searched on the net, here is one instruction for such a kit:
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOING THE TEST
    1. Fill device with liquid (approx. 2 ml) to the level between the chambers (as in the photo). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312746279910?hash=item48d12183e6:g:jGkAAOSwfSldZXpE
    2. Connect the tester to the opening of the expansion tank or radiator
    3. Start the engine (preferably already warm), bring to the increased turnover in order to achieve greater combustion pressure.
    4. Leave the engine on slightly elevated speeds and observe the behavior of reaction fluid
    5. If the fluid turns YELLOW or GREEN , a combustion leak is present. Change the color of the liquid reaction to yellow(petrol engines, LPG) or green (diesel)
    6.After completing the tests carefully remove the device
    7. The reaction liquid that has not changed color may be reused.

CAR COMBUSTION LEAK TESTER KIT INCLUDES:
    - 30 ml of the reaction FLUID for about 15 tests

new generation liquid!
    - Pipe
    - Round seal

HOW DOES IT WORK? Tester Detects exhaust gases (CO2) in the radiator or expansion tank.